Rhea with sack of liquid on neck

shamorunner

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2024
I have a female Rhea with a fluid filled sack on her neck. I thought it might be compaction am not feeling anything hard, just feeling the liquid.

There barely trace amounts of pine shavings, their bedding is fescue hay. Their diet is dog food, calf crumble, alfalfa pellets, and a few handfuls of pea gravel mixed into the 100lbs of feed.

She is lethargic and her stool was not solid today judging by her tail feather being covered rather than the more typical clean look. She normally runs around their enclosure but only the two males greeted me today. One of the males is more docile and the other male and the female less docile but curious at times.

I had the heat lamp on last night to keep them a little warmer, they are at the age for not needing it but I am still a bit cautious compared to when I would have adolescent chickens. They also have pine trees, but were fully hatched and raised with similar feed and also pine trees from the breeder. The breeder was working me but we crossed of a lot of things that might be the cause, but he hasn't seen a large fluid filled sack before in his 35 years of working with Rhea, Emu, Ostrich, and Peafowl.

I'm not sure if she'll make it, I'll be quarantining her and working with her. If anyone has any recommendations or see a large fluid filled sack on the neck before, please let me know

I am trying to familiarize myself with one of the listed image hosting platforms, the best I can do in the meantime is a discord link that I hope loads properly in this post
Female Rhea with fluid filled sack on neck: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...35c2e2b9132e77f6f2bc4e46fa3bb2d8cc8774baee46&

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your bird is having trouble. :hugsI don't know anything about these birds however it looks like the bird has a slow or sour crop. Not too many Rhea keepers here on BYC, let me tag a few members that keep these birds that may be able to help. (If they don't respond, I can move this thread to our Emergency forum and hopefully someone can help you there.)

@Pyxis @Strawberry74 @ShannonsChimkens @Sneakyturtle

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your bird is having trouble. :hugsI don't know anything about these birds. Not too many Rhea keepers here on BYC, let me tag a few members that keep these birds that may be able to help. (If they don't respond, I can move this thread to our Emergency forum and hopefully someone can help you there.)

@Pyxis @Strawberry74 @ShannonsChimkens @Sneakyturtle
Much appreciated o7

I didn't mean to send it with the incomplete thought. The dried stool didn't maintain any shape and is splattered and darker than the normal greenish stool

The stool I found was already dried, by how it was on feathers and the ground it spread rapidly and didn't adhere to itself well and don't maintain my shape
Sorry, I was asking about the crop...soft and squishy usually means a yeast infection, hard and stiff be an impaction and sometimes if the crop pliable like putty, it's a different type of yeast.

If she were a chicken, I'd suggest some Acidified Copper Sulfate to kill the yeast infection. But I'm not sure if this is the proper treatment for Rheas. So until someone else chimes in, you might get her on some probiotics to help reduce the bad bacteria and yeast in her crop. Human probiotics are fine to use, about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Yogurt can help her too, a couple tablespoonfuls a day of plain unsweetened. No free ranging on stiff vegetation, having to grind up food in the Gizzard will slow the crop further. Keep her on a good poultry diet, no sweet berries or fruits until her crop moves normally. Lots of water. Protein foods like scrambled eggs won't feed the yeast, so those are ok too.

Back
Top Bottom