Rhode Island feathers

Aug 1, 2023
Hey guys, what do you think of the three Rhode Island Red in this picture? I’m thinking two are male, because of the color, but I don’t know.

Attachments

• C7AD1FF3-7C37-4846-B740-BC96E3CAFDFB.jpeg
    C7AD1FF3-7C37-4846-B740-BC96E3CAFDFB.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 51
I don't believe you can tell RIR genders by feather color or anything, just comb development. RIRs do pop up those combs earlier so you'll be able to tell gender soon.

I don't believe you can tell RIR genders by feather color or anything, just comb development. RIRs do pop up those combs earlier so you'll be able to tell gender soon.
ok. The wing feathers/ flight feathers looks like a girl’s, but then again, they are from Tractor Supply, so I’m not sure how breed standard they are.

They are far too young for you to be able to sex them yet. Wait until they are six weeks old and come back. By that time, a cockerel's comb and wattles will already be reddening and they could be developing early male-specifc feathers.

ok. The wing feathers/ flight feathers looks like a girl’s, but then again, they are from Tractor Supply, so I’m not sure how breed standard they are.
Sexing chickens by their wings is an old wive's tale; chickens have to be bred for that specifically in order for their chicks to be sexed that way. Hoover's Hatchery, the one that Tractor Supply gets its chicks from, does not breed for any of that.

They are far too young for you to be able to sex them yet. Wait until they are six weeks old and come back. By that time, a cockerel's comb and wattles will already be reddening and they could be developing early male-specifc feathers.
Sexing chickens by their wings is an old wive's tale; chickens have to be bred for that specifically in order for their chicks to be sexed that way. Hoover's Hatchery, the one that Tractor Supply gets its chicks from, does not breed for any of that.
Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom