Rhode Island Red...are they noisy?

BK79

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
I wanted to ask if Rhode Island Reds are noisy birds when laying eggs?
I want to add a pure bred RIR to my flock...
I have RSL and they don't really make much noise or have an egg song.
I understand there are 3 kinds of breeds of RIR(Heritage, Pure Bred, & Production)
I live in an urban area b.t.w.
so need to keep the noise down.

Last edited:
We have 2 Heritage RIR'S, one barely sings the other is pretty quick about it. They both have pleasant songs.

Our Buf Orps carry one, often long after they leave the nest box but they are not very loud. The Wyandottes are loud all the time even when they are not laying, but the Wellsummer is the worse, She is loud, high pitched and sounds like she is being murdered for about 30 minutes every day. Interestingly, the hen with the prettiest voice our Maran, keeps her egg song pretty short.

Last edited:
I wanted to ask if Rhode Island Reds are noisy birds when laying eggs?
I want to add a pure bred RIR to my flock...
I have RSL and they don't really make much noise or have an egg song.
I understand there are 3 kinds of breeds of RIR(Heritage, Pure Bred, & Production)
I live in an urban area b.t.w.
so need to keep the noise down.
I have 2 rir one has the biggest loudest mouth. She almost makes me wonder if shell crow sometime.

I have a purebreed RIR amd she is very quiet. Her egg song is quite soft, like a trilling noise and only lasts a couple of minutes. She's also a lovely chook, friendly, bold and curious. Great breed for the urban yard (which is where I have them too).

My other 3 are Australorp - also quiet; Barnevelder - beautiful egg song which lasts about 10-15 minutes and a Silver Campine - hideous screeching noise for half an hour or more! Don't get one of those! She's a fun chook to have around, always racing around doing crazy things but, much as I love her, I won't get another SC as she can screeches for a couple of hours before they're allowed out to free range.

Our Rhode Island Reds are the quieter ones of all our breeds. Most of the time we don't know they've laid an egg. We'll see them in nest box & figure they're either about to lay an egg or already laid one. They get up without a problem when we reach under them, unlike the Barred Plymouth Rocks, who fight & peck us. They are also friendly, and are one of the top laying breeds of all chickens. The roosters don't crow much either, but squawk like dinosaurs when they want attention.

Our RIR is the head hen and she is the loudest bird we have. She sings the egg song for every flock member and it is LOUD! Also, if she sees anyone in the backyard she tries to call them over to let her out by going "Bwwwaaaaaak, bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaak!" extremely loudly. We love the beans out of her, but she is a loudmouth.

I have a RIR that is about 5 months old and is VERY noisy, I guess it depends on the bird but none of my other chickens (I have SLW, EE, Buff Orpington, and a buff sebright bantam) are as loud as her , but I can't help because I got mine at a feed store so I don't know which one of the three types she would be

Back
Top Bottom