Rhode Island Red Boy or Girl?

So what do you do with a rooster? We aren't allowed to have them where I live.

Re-homing a cockerel can be a challenge as there are loads of unwanted roosters out there that people want to re-home. You can list him on Craigslist, or you can ask at your local feed store. They may know of someone who would like to have him. They may even have a bulletin board you can advertise him on. You can also check with your local 4h. One of the students might like to have him. Good luck in re-homing your cockerel.

So what do you do with a rooster?  We aren't allowed to have them where I live.  

You can try Craigslist, or a flyer at a feed store, or word of mouth depending on how many local chicken people you know.

Be aware though that he will likely end up living up to his new name, unless you make sure to specify that he's only for a good home.

So is this a for sure thing? Should I wait until he cok a doodle doors? I am afraid my hoa will make me give up all of my hens if he does cock a doodle do. I assured them that there would be no roosters.

He is absolutely, with out a doubt, a cockerel. He might not crow for a few more months, or he could start tomorrow. Once they do start crowing, they crow often. Rehome him before he becomes a problem.

So is this a for sure thing? Should I wait until he cok a doodle doors? I am afraid my hoa will make me give up all of my hens if he does cock a doodle do. I assured them that there would be no roosters.

He is 1000% a cockerel, no question. If crowing's the issue, I've heard some talk on BYC that some veterinarians are able to perform a surgery to de-crow a rooster. It's quite expensive though, and only has a 50% survival rate. So probably not a real option.

He is absolutely, with out a doubt, a cockerel. He might not crow for a few more months, or he could start tomorrow. Once they do start crowing, they crow often. Rehome him before he becomes a problem.

x2

We just took Providence to her new home at the ranch of an experienced chicken handler and he informed us that we actually had a hen and sent her home with us. So confusing

Back
Top Bottom