1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by willowcreekfarm, Jan 28, 2013.

1. willowcreekfarm

willowcreekfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    We got an assortment of chicks and I originally thought that the redish ones were Rhode Island Reds. But now that they are 1 week old and starting to grow wing feathers I am seeing some brown markings on the wings. Is this how Rhode Islands start? I figured when the feathers started coming in they would be the solid red coloring, so I am wondering if I am wrong about this breed. Does anyone know what breed these chicks are (just the red ones in the photos)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They look pretty normal for RIR. Cute as can be. Did you get them from a hatchery?

3. willowcreekfarm

willowcreekfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Yes, we got the rainbow pullet assortment from Meyer Hatchery. I can't wait to have a variety of egg colors!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They look like some type of red bird. They go through this brown/red juvenile plumage, then color out to a solid red. I think they're this color when they're young cause it would help them hide from predators better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by