Rhode Island red experts opinion needed

The RIR roos i had (and may the rest in freeze) were VERY obvious by 7-8 weeks and crowed soon after. These look like girls to me- and it shouldn't be much longer before you get eggs.

they are all pullets..the reason their combs and wattles are getting red is because they are getting close to laying age....all of mine look like that and we bought them as sexed pullets.....and is they were roosters by now the combs would be much larger and bright red...also they would have black/green tail feathers...and also if they were roosters they should be crowing by now...all the roosters I have had were crowing (or trying to crow) by 8 weeks some by 6 weeks.

they are all pullets..the reason their combs and wattles are getting red is because they are getting close to laying age....all of mine look like that and we bought them as sexed pullets.....and is they were roosters by now the combs would be much larger and bright red...also they would have black/green tail feathers...and also if they were roosters they should be crowing by now...all the roosters I have had were crowing (or trying to crow) by 8 weeks some by 6 weeks.
Thanks heaps, they do have some black feathers in their messy tails though, how come some people are still adamant they are roosters? So I just wait a couple more weeks for either eggs or crowing then??

Here for reference is my RIR pullet she is around 2 as you can see very different compared to the boys you have, look at the neck feathers of the pullet, they are rounded and not shiny as opposed to your roos shiny hackles on their neck, also the feathers on the back just before the tail are also non shiny and rounded I can see darker shiny pointy feathers coming through on yours, these are the saddle feathers, they will become more apparent soon, I am sorry you will not be getting any eggs from these guys and should hear crowing soon to confirm.

My three are the same age and I was told they are pullets. Here are pictures if that helps.

Can you post some more pics where rain isn't a factor? I would think cockerels would be much more obvious than that, but I'm far from being an expert. The fact that they are just now turning red seems more egg related than anything. I had a BSL that was huge and looked very roo-ish but most definitely was not... like any other living creature looks can vary. Another one of my BSLs has a green sheen all over her feathers. Very pretty actually. My RIRs are nearly identical and look pretty similar in structure to your first couple pics and they do have s few dark feathers in their tails which seems normal for thebreed, but agsin, i still consider myself a newbie most times.

I think they are roos. I have one RIR and she is 15 weeks and doesn't have any shiny feathers like that at all. I see green shiny feathers in the tails of yours and I also believe I see pointy hackle feathers and some pointy saddle feathers coming in. My RIR looks like the ones in Martha's pictures.

Back
Top Bottom