Rhode Island Red figures, anyone?

Cmom, thank you for the welcome!

You say, a 50 lb. bag should last a month "with the number of birds I'm talking about". Um, except I didn't give a particular number of chickens. Could I trouble you to tell me how many birds that 50 lb. bag would feed, in a month, in your experience?

(Using imaleomom's figures of a third of a pound per day per bird, I make that five birds.)

But if that's the case, I think I can break even, or near enough, not to cry too loudly. Especially if I think of the venture in terms of "value" rather than "cost".

Thank you all!

EDITED TO THANK GREAT HORSE AND BRITEDAY AS WELL, who posted while I was slowly composing the above while doing math, math, math. Between the figures the given by the two of you, who seem to have the opposite ends of luck
smile.png
I'll shoot for the average and see what comes. Great Horse, I think your observations say much about why it's hard to get "firm" input figures: nobody really wants to know what their hobby costs them! Briteday, the dollar value of feed and eggs varies greatly according to region, I've noticed, but quantities remain quantities, and thank you for noting them!

Last edited:
Quote:
I may have confused your post with another. I thought you said in your post that you had 8 birds. Sorry for the confusion. A friend of mine bought 8 "pullets" from a feed store. They all turned out to be Roo's. All of my chicks have come from a hatchery and out of 21 birds only one "pullet" turned out to be a Roo. I don't think a hatch rate will necessarily be 50/50. There are probably post on ratios of Pullets vs. Roos hatchings in the Raising Baby Chicks and Incubating & Hatching Eggs sections of the forum.

(Using imaleomom's figures of a third of a pound per day per bird, I make that five birds.)

But if that's the case, I think I can break even, or near enough, not to cry too loudly. Especially if I think of the venture in terms of "value" rather than "cost".

Thank you all!

EDITED TO THANK GREAT HORSE AND BRITEDAY AS WELL, who posted while I was slowly composing the above while doing math, math, math. Between the figures the given by the two of you, who seem to have the opposite ends of luck
smile.png
I'll shoot for the average and see what comes. Great Horse, I think your observations say much about why it's hard to get "firm" input figures: nobody really wants to know what their hobby costs them! Briteday, the dollar value of feed and eggs varies greatly according to region, I've noticed, but quantities remain quantities, and thank you for noting them!​

Last edited:
Thank you, Cmom! No, it wasn't me with the eight birds, but the feed ratio figures are ones I can live with.
big_smile.png
And I think I'll get pullets only, since it's a crap-shoot otherwise.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Full steam ahead!

Back
Top Bottom