Rhode Island Red hen or roo?

Johnaimeelee

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
NW Indiana
Hello everyone! This is my first post but curious to see if you can tell if we have pullets. We got 6 Rhode Island Red chicks may 2nd and was told they were between 2 and 3 weeks old. Except they just now look appropriately 4 weeks old (to me). By their "aging" they would be 6.5 weeks old. We did unfortunately lose one baby one the second night. But hopefully the pictures help if you can tell the sex yet. I'd appreciate any idea on the estimate age as well. Thank you in advance!
VideoCapture_20200603-143830.jpg
VideoCapture_20200603-143600.jpg
VideoCapture_20200603-143542.jpg
20200603_142800_capture.jpg
VideoCapture_20200603-143427.jpg

The red leg band one is looking a little roosterish to me but the others all look like pullets so far. Still a bit young to be sure though. You can usually tell around 8 weeks. Not sure on age but I agree that they definitely look a lot younger than almost 7 weeks.

Thank you! I thought so too just by looking at others pictures that they looked younger. I appreciate the help!
No problem!!! They definitely look younger so hopefully in a few more weeks you can tell for sure!! And hopefully you end up with all girls. :fl but I’d definitely keep an eye on that red one!

Also I’m sure you know this but make sure you’re checking the leg bands frequently to make sure they don’t get too tight as they grow. ❤️

No problem!!! They definitely look younger so hopefully in a few more weeks you can tell for sure!! And hopefully you end up with all girls. :fl but I’d definitely keep an eye on that red one!

Also I’m sure you know this but make sure you’re checking the leg bands frequently to make sure they don’t get too tight as they grow. ❤
Thank you so much! I bought small, medium and large haha the small is what they have now but calls for large as hens. Yes, 🤞 we have all girls! I'll update as they get older because I'm sure I'll be asking in a few weeks!

Thank you so much! I bought small, medium and large haha the small is what they have now but calls for large as hens. Yes, 🤞 we have all girls! I'll update as they get older because I'm sure I'll be asking in a few weeks!
Good idea!! They should be fine in those for a while!! They look pretty big still!! But I’d just keep checking just in case. ❤️ They grow fast! Haha

And hopefully you do!!! I’d love to see an update. :D

Good idea!! They should be fine in those for a while!! They look pretty big still!! But I’d just keep checking just in case. ❤ They grow fast! Haha

And hopefully you do!!! I’d love to see an update. :D
I check on them probably a thousand times a day! Watching them grow is neat, especially the changes happening so fast.

Opinions? Our chicks are about 5.5 weeks old. Its suppose to get down to 50° tonight. They've stayed in the coop for a week and a half and the lowest inside was 60°. Do you think that can make it overnight without being too cold? Should I give them a brooder light inside the coop? Or bring them inside?

Back
Top Bottom