rhode island red hens

fathead

Hatching
Aug 16, 2015
South Carolina
I was told rhode island reds ars good layers but won't hatch the eggs is this true? I have a incubator but don't have the room for the other eggs what should I do?

No chicken will hatch your eggs at YOUR WILL.. You have to wait for a chicken to go broody before she decides to sit on eggs. RIR may not be at the top of broody hens. White leghorns are even worse at it then RIR. Some of the best surrogate moms come from the Cochin family. Silkies also do well, but are limited due to their bantam size. Orpington are good also, as other breeds as well. If your incubator wont handle your quantity of eggs, You have 2 choices. Get another or larger incubator. OR Eat all the extra eggs. Your chickens will lay more when you need them.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

No chicken will hatch your eggs at YOUR WILL..   You have to wait for a chicken to go broody before she decides to sit on eggs.   RIR may not be at the top of broody hens.   White leghorns are even worse at it then RIR.      Some of the best surrogate moms come from the Cochin family.   Silkies also do well, but are limited due to their bantam size.  Orpington are good also, as other breeds as well.  If your incubator wont handle your quantity of eggs, You have 2 choices.  Get another or larger incubator.    OR     Eat all the extra eggs.   Your chickens will lay more when you need them. 
WISHING YOU BEST  :thumbsup

Agreed. I have commercial layers that never go broody, but l have a mutt bird that goes broody all the time. She lays poorly cos of the broodiness but I keep specifically for sitting and raising chicks - she does a mighty fine job of that. Oh, and she's the alpha hen so it's a double bonus in terms of her looking after her chicks.

Ct

agree with Cavemanrich. Do you have a rooster? If not none of the eggs will be fertile and won't hatch no matter what you do with them.

Back
Top Bottom