1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode island red laying white eggs ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JTPhillips, Aug 13, 2016.

1. JTPhillips

JTPhillips Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Has anyone ever heard of a Rhode island red laying white eggs?

2. JTPhillips

Mar 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Are you sure that it's a Rhode Island Red? And are you sure that you don't have a different bird that could be laying the white eggs?

4. JTPhillips

Mar 8, 2016
    I have 5 month old orpingtons , Brahmas, one Americana, and the two layers right now are my 1.5 yr old reds

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    By "Americana", do you mean Ameraucana or Easter Egger?
    And your profile pic does not show two Rhode Island Reds. The hens in that photo are red sexlinks.

6. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I was curious so I did a quick Google search, turns out there are a few reasons that this can happen. Calcium not being absorbed properly, a stressed bird, a sick bird, ect. The article I read stresses that you should not jump to conclusions about what's causing it (so many people try to diagnose their birds with some off the wall disease). I'd wait to see if it continues and in the meantime maybe throw some oyster shell in the coop.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It could also be that one of the birds is a white egg layer and has been misidentified by the owner....

8. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Sure.......but interestingly enough it is a real thing

9. JTPhillips

Mar 8, 2016
    Oyster shell is always supplied in the coop and they are very happy free Rangers... I am bewildered...

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How long has this been going on?

I have had brown eggers that laid very light/white-ish eggs from time to time. Not consistently, just like they forgot to apply the brown coating before the egg was passed. It's no biggie.

If it's an ongoing thing, my next question would be, is the egg white-white, like a grocery store egg, or creamy beige? If ti's not stark white, it's within the normal variation of brown egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by