Rhode Island Red Meat Bird What Happened??

Yup, that bird is male. I think red broiler as the rangers I had in the past were still very mobile at 12 weeks.

I think keesmon is right, I looked up "red broiler chicken" and they look just like yours.

What you can do is let "Reilly" free range and watch to make sure no predators come. If he starts walking around more you don't have to watch him. I have also heard that you should put meat chickens on diets, so they don't gain way too much weight.

I think keesmon is right, I looked up "red broiler chicken" and they look just like yours.

What you can do is let "Reilly" free range and watch to make sure no predators come. If he starts walking around more you don't have to watch him. I have also heard that you should put meat chickens on diets, so they don't gain way too much weight.

Thanks for the Information. I don't know how I'll be able to put "him" on a diet as I have the RIR (I hope anyway), 2 Golden Comets and 4 Guineas that all eat together. My hope is to free range them all very soon. Most definitely I'll be keeping an eye on "Reilly" this is where the Guineas will come in handy for predator warnings! Problem is what to do about his breast and missing messed up feathers.

He'd make a great spatchcock for the grill. Other than that, just gotta make him comfortable. Keep the food and water close by and in the shade. If he's hot, he's not gonna want to walk out into the sun to drink.

The missing feathers just are. Nothing you can do about that. Give him some green grass to lay on instead of wet sand.

He'd make a great spatchcock for the grill. Other than that, just gotta make him comfortable. Keep the food and water close by and in the shade. If he's hot, he's not gonna want to walk out into the sun to drink.

The missing feathers just are. Nothing you can do about that. Give him some green grass to lay on instead of wet sand.

Thank you for your reply. He does have mobility but sits a lot when he gets where he wants to be. Food, water and shade are available to him in the coop which he makes use of. He does go out into the temporary run we added to the coop until we free range, water is available out in it. He most definitely won't end up on the grill, I can't raise anything then kill it, just the way I am, sure I'm not alone. Would never let him suffer so if need be he will be put down by the vet. My question is how did he end up with what was suppose to be RIR laying hens? People are telling me he is a Red Ranger rooster from his pictures, does that mean the other RIR is a Red Ranger too? Doesn't make sense to me but I do appreciate all the replies.

Thank you for your reply. He does have mobility but sits a lot when he gets where he wants to be. Food, water and shade are available to him in the coop which he makes use of. He does go out into the temporary run we added to the coop until we free range, water is available out in it. He most definitely won't end up on the grill, I can't raise anything then kill it, just the way I am, sure I'm not alone. Would never let him suffer so if need be he will be put down by the vet. My question is how did he end up with what was suppose to be RIR laying hens? People are telling me he is a Red Ranger rooster from his pictures, does that mean the other RIR is a Red Ranger too? Doesn't make sense to me but I do appreciate all the replies.

Could you take a picture of the RIR hen?

Could you take a picture of the RIR hen?
Here it is.
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1412.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    649.8 KB · Views: 7
He most definitely won't end up on the grill, I can't raise anything then kill it, just the way I am, sure I'm not alone. Would never let him suffer so if need be he will be put down by the vet. .
I'm with you on not eating anything I raise buuuut.....if I was in your situation and thought he would need to be put down I would find him a home with a family that could and would process him.
I love my birds but id rather see one feed someone in need then pay a vet to just kill one and bury it.
Even sounds harsh as I write this but dead is dead and as sad as a loss is it would feel good to help someone that could use it.

Meat birds are breed to grow big fast..for the meat.
They will basically eat themselves to death one way or another.
Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom