1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red... Roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carol0622, Aug 21, 2016.

1. carol0622

carol0622 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    PA
    In early May we got 2 RIR chicks. They are now approx 4 months old. We can clearly tell their sex. [​IMG]

In July I asked the same guy if I could buy another hen. He said he only had one left because foxes killed the other 20+ that he had. So he brings me the only one he had left. The picture below is the baby when I got her/him. (Keep in mind that it is approx 3 months old in this pic)
    [​IMG]

Apparently the guy kept the sole baby in a black box, outside from early May until I got her. Definitely had no heat or property nutrition. I did some research and I think it was runted.

Here it is 2 weeks after saving her. She is standing next to her sister, Ginger. Same age. How sad is that?!
    [​IMG]

Here she is today
    [​IMG]

Since she was clearly runted I am having a hard time telling what sex she is. I keep saying "she" because I can't have another rooster and I keep hoping that she really is a she.

Anyone have advice. ??

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Cockerel

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The bird you got was not stunted. It was just much younger than stated. Only approximately 4 weeks old when you got it. If it hadn't received proper nutrition and supplemental heat, it would be dead by about 2 weeks old. That chick had been fed properly. There is no indications of bone deformities that come with poor nutrition. You were lied to about the age. It is also a cockerel.

4. carol0622

Apr 2, 2016
    PA

Ugh. I was worried that he was lying about it being from the same batch. He assured me it was. So good thing that it was healthy but bad that it's a roo. I can't keep both (I only have 4 hens) and will have to make the horrible choice of picking one to rehome [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree it's a cockerel, and younger than stated.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel - there should be a special place in "NOT heaven," where dishonest sellers go - obviously it would be standing room only.

7. carol0622

Apr 2, 2016
    PA

I hear ya!!! If he wasn't such a sh*tty person and if I didn't love this little Chickie, I would drop it off on his door step. It's going to break my heart to have to rehome one of the roos! [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In the Special Hell....next to the child molesters and people who talk in the theater [​IMG]

Just got to get in my Firefly nod [​IMG]

9. carol0622

Apr 2, 2016
    PA

Amen to that!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by