Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
well took em 2-4 weeks to get consistent, the egg layers are laying daily, won't know on the dual purposes and meats until they actually start laying

and no we are doing the farm cooperative style so that helps feed 3 families

Here are some pics of fire rose! Fire rose is funny!

If you want fun get a screen or deer netting a put it somewhere they normaly go then try to pick up a non socialized chicken and watch them go running full force into the invisible force field you have put up... If you lucky like me yourll have an extra special one who thinks if he backs up and try's again he will make it through... Lol

I have 4 RIRs that were born at the end of April, 2015. One of them is a boy. He's started crowing quite loudly and we had to put a no-crow collar on him to keep him for as long as possible. Question is: how much will he grow between now and, say, the end of the year? Sure don't want to strangle him as the collar fits nicely now but will get tight if he grows fast. Would love to have any advice!

They grow pretty fast I would suggest rejoining him or selling him.. I'd be interested either way lol but those collors should be adjustable

This is brooster and some other flock members at 11 weeks old. They will be 12 weeks old Friday. I have caught brooster crowing in the mornings all ready. He only seems to do it in response to the roosters you can hear that other people have around us. I didn't realize they would crow so soon.

P.s these are Murray McMurray birds. Some have been going through a Juveinile molt I can only assume as feathers have been everywhere but you can hardly notice much loss on the birds. It has also been a hot summer here in Edenton NC.

Mine seem to be going through a mini molt too. Maybe it's the heat? It's been 95-102 here. I'm doing all I can to keep them cool. I have 3 RIR that are about 6 months old, maybe younger, they haven't laid yet. But maybe that's the heat too

When it was in the low 90s to upper 90s with 105-110 heat index I provided a small $20 box fan to the outside of the run and simply set it on the ground. I used spare osb board to add shade to the sides by laying it up against the run fence. The fan was placed in between those board and the fence. I made sure to not squeeze it between which allowed room for the fan to drawl air. I placed their water can in front of the fan on the inside of the fence. This made a huge difference from the day prior with the same heat. The water stayed completely cool and the chickens all laid and got down in the dirt on the other side of the run but still in front of the fan and all panting had pretty much stopped.

Back
Top Bottom