1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red vs. Production Red

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lil'chickies, Mar 12, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    What's the difference between the two? Thanks for any help!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think the main difference is color. Hatcheries breed birds more for egg production than breed standard so RIRs that come from a hatchery tend to be from a lighter colored, but more prolific egg-laying strain.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    True RIR will be a deep dark red. Production reds are much lighter and it's said that they lay better. I have both and one of my RIR lays almost everyday just like the Prod. Red.

4. dr_lukanov

dr_lukanov Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Production reds are autosexing Rhode Island cross (male Rhode Island Red x female Rhode Island white mutation). Hatching female chicks is brown and male chicks is white. Brown egg layers lay 300-320 eggs/year with wight 63-64 gr and Rhode Island Red lay 220-240/58 gr. Production reds are much lighter.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I think you're thinking of red sex-links dr_lukanov.

Production reds are bred for egg production. They have lost the "brick" shape that a true RIR has. They range from a "triangle" shape to a square shape. A true RIR will look like a brick with the edges shaved off. A production red is a lighter color and can range from a yellow-ish color to a dark red. A true RIR will be so dark they are almost black.

Production Red Hen:
    [​IMG]

True RIR Hen:
    [​IMG]

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:The comparison to a brick was the best description that I've heard yet.
    Thanks!

7. dr_lukanov

dr_lukanov Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    I confess the mistake, I talked about redsex-links. Excuse me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by