Rhode island red?

Rolandjd

Hatching
Apr 18, 2019
We just recently got our first chickens from tractor supply and got a few different kinds of chickens. The Rhode island red we got has developed leg feathers in the last couple weeks Is that normal for Rhode island rides. Or did we possibly get some other breed of chicken and if so do you know what it might be.
IMG_20190418_162121.jpg
IMG_20190418_162135.jpg

In my opinion, it looks very suspiciously like a red Cochin. I have some red Cochin bantams I got out of the bantam mixed breed bin at tractor supply. It even looks to be slightly developing the longer feathers at the joint there. I may be wrong though, as this is my first time with a Cochin of any kind. I do know for certain that it is not a Rhode Island Red though, at least not a full blooded one.

In my opinion, it looks very suspiciously like a red Cochin. I have some red Cochin bantams I got out of the bantam mixed breed bin at tractor supply. It even looks to be slightly developing the longer feathers at the joint there. I may be wrong though, as this is my first time with a Cochin of any kind. I do know for certain that it is not a Rhode Island Red though, at least not a full blooded one.
cool how is their egg laying?

Is it a bantam or large fowl? Looks like a red Cochin, but hatcheries only have them in bantam size. So far at least it looks like a pullet.

We just recently got our first chickens from tractor supply and got a few different kinds of chickens. The Rhode island red we got has developed leg feathers in the last couple weeks Is that normal for Rhode island rides. Or did we possibly get some other breed of chicken and if so do you know what it might be.View attachment 1743365 View attachment 1743366
Unless you have very large hands, that's a bantam red Cochin. A standard chick very nearly feathered is more like this:

FWIW, when I was last in TSC, they had the leftover assorted bantams tossed in with the RIR. I only spotted one little silkie remaining which is easy enough to tell apart but I can see how one similarly colored could be selected by mistake.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom