Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eddy Chicken, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    This is my RIR. She (I hope) has the biggest reddest comb of all my chickens. My other chicken breeds are Buff Orpingtons and Brahmas. Hen? They are all 18 weeks old.

.[​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a girl production red :) Also known as a hatchery RIR. This breed usually has bigger combs than Buff orps.` and Brahmas have rose combs so they defiantly have bigger combs lol

3. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Quote:
    x2

4. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    lets talk about 'production reds. production reds are a cross between RIR and NH. now from what i understand(and i understand quite a bit) the new Hampshire was originally Rhode island red just selectively rebbread for some different traits then the original RIR, so....isn't it kinda 6 to one ,half dozen to another? now I'm sure there are plenty of "purists" out there but i think that all the traits that make a RIR a RIR are still there in the gene pool and its silly to point out to some one there RIR isn't any thing but a production red, when in fact the entire history of the PR is in fact RIR...now I'm new to this forum but my family history with the chicken goes back to 1912 when my great grand father started an egg farm that stayed in business till the 70s when my grand parents decided to retire and i had my first flock of heritage RIR's at the age of 5,IN '73.I now have a RIR roo with mix of PR and RIR hens and the chicks are a deep burgundy and have a nice square frame and i cant tell what chick belongs to what hen.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Yes, the gene's are still there but it is a mixed breed, slightly different in color, attitude and egg production. The production red was bred to lay a lot of eggs.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your red hen is indeed a hen, she should start laying for you in the next few weeks or so.

7. stephanie1992

heres some info on Production reds if ud like it lol
    Its from a chicken book i bought at TSC

The Production Red is a calm, Docile and easily handled, however, the rooster can display some aggression if kept in a large flock with other males. Keepers should monitor their male production Reds behavior before allowing children near them. Better suited to foraging in free range, the production red is intolerant of close confinement and becomes flighty on occasion. Its feathers feel somewhat brittle and do not provide much warmth in cold climates.
    The Production Red was developed in the US through the cross of the Rhode Island Red and the occasional Leghorn. Its plumage is slightly lighter than that of the Rhode Island red and tends to be lighter when exposed to long periods of sunlight. Its shanks are yellow, and the single comb, wattles, and earlobes are red. The production red rooster weighs up to 8 pounds and the hen up to 6 pounds.

8. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    I was unaware of the intro of the leghorn but it musta been bred into the great grandparent line when they were developing the PR for 'better' egg production,my point being on my last comment is that on these forums people are quick to point out that people don't 'really have the breed they say they have.i don't know if there trying to burst bubbles or what,I think since most hatcheries sell PR under the name rhode island reds and people want to get on this forum cause there proud of their birds,then others shouldn't try to knock em down. the longer their on these forums and the more experience they have with chickens the more they'll learn,without people trying to make them feel bad...that's all...sorry about the rant.

9. stephanie1992

I wasnt trying to Say anything bad,
    I was just providing info on the breed for the OP....

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Looks like she's getting ready to lay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by