Rhode Island Reds - Hens?

ShelleyBurch

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
I bought chicks at TSC and I *think* they were sorted, but my cousin said when he went they only had unsorted ones, so now I'm wondering if I have hens or roosters. They are 5 weeks old in these pictures. What's a good method for telling them apart?

You definitely have some cockerels in the bunch. The ones that have red combs already are males. The ones that are feathering in more slowly are also likely males. If you post individual pictures we can point them out for you.

I'll get better pictures tonight. None of them have red combs, they are all a soft pink (almost fleshy) color right now. I only have 6 birds, I sure hope I have more girls than boys! :(

You definitely have some cockerels in the bunch. The ones that have red combs already are males. The ones that are feathering in more slowly are also likely males. If you post individual pictures we can point them out for you.
x2

x3

Best picture I could get. The two in the back have the most pink combs. The others are lighter in color. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom