Rhode Island Reds in mixed flock

backyardfarmgirl

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
Michigan
Ok, so several of you on here have said Rhode Island Reds are aggressive with mixed flocks. Just wondering... if I have just TWO RIR's in my flock along with 6 Australorps and maybe two Silver-laced Wyandottes, will the RIR's still be aggressive? Will it help if they are the underdogs? Their productivity is enticing but I have my heart on a mixed flock (just more interesting) but I don't want a lot of aggression in the flock.

I'm also wondering about the Wyandottes? Are they usually bullies? It sounded like from the reviews on here that they can be and that they're often not very approachable.

Ok, what about this?

Would this setup be likely to have a lot of bullying?

4 Australorpes
2 Rhode Island Reds
2 Silver-laced Wyandottes
2 Gold-laced Wyandottes (OR 2 Buff Orpingtons)

For one thing, it looks like all the breeds you choose are of like size and weight (which is good with a mixed flock if bullying is a concern for you). :)

RIRs where bred from Malays and Shanghai (Shanghais are mellow/docile while Malays are generally aggressive). For this reason, Rhode island reds can be aggressive but that doesn't even mean 1/2 of Rhode Island reds are aggressive. :) I currently have an RIR hen that wouldn't hurt a flea (unless it tasted yummy). However, I used to have an RIR hen that was so aggressive, she was at least as good as a full-size guard dog (as far as the back yard was concerned). :p

I have owned both the RIR and Wyandottes. The RIR named Phil, became my head chicken and was not too aggressive with the flock. But she was just enough aggressive to make sure her placing in line was first. one of my silver laced Wyandotte, we happily named her Bossy, for she like to seek out the littles and run them around. But she new her place one Phil came to tell her to stop. LOL

Our flock started half and ha;lf RIR and BR never had any issues amongst them. But neither the RIR or BR seem to want to tolerate poor "Lady" our single Americauna (americanna ) ?? And of course we have been unable to put any of our new chicks in with em yet as they are mean to em plucking their feathers and stuff. But to their humans they are all sweet birds except for one broody Red and one Broody BR that get plum irate when you come to take their eggs. i swear that RED GROWLS!We like our girls though. And the BR are notable sweeter than the Reds Hope all the chicks lay like their mothers good producers all and even at that we have more demand for the eggs than the girls can keep up with.

If you are talking about a pure breed RIR they are fine, if you are talking about hybrid RIR "Red Stars" they are aggressive

I have a pure bred RIR in my mixed flock and she's awesome. No aggression at all but she is definitely not on the bottom of the pecking order. I also have a red star which is a RIR mixed with a Delaware, and she is sweet as honey. It depends on the individual chickens and how they are raised. Good luck :D

The thing is no one can guarantee a bird they do not know or have seen, or really even a bird they have seen. A lot will depend on the circumstances that you put the birds in. A good set up with inside/outside hideouts, multiple feed stations, mulitiple water stations, roosts, mini walls, shelters, shade, places to bask in the sun... and not over crowding, not too many birds will do more to ensure that birds do not fight than particular breeds of birds. SPACE and how it is SET UP is the most important part

However, even with all that, there may be a bird that is not best friends with anyone, but as long as she is not being attacked, let it go. If she is being attacked, you have to remove either her or the bully. It is part of chicken keeping. Even if you love her, it is better for the flock. Wishing they would all get along, won't work. What does work, is space, and culling till you get a flock that fits your facilities.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom