Rhode Island Reds? Or Orpingtons?

antrimfarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
I posted about a week ago about some chicks that my husband bought us. We've had them for a week now and some feathers are really coming in! I just can't figure out what breed they are. (He bought them at tractor supply under "production red layers". I think we have two different breeds but it's hard to tell. Here is a picture.

See how dark the head of the one on the far right is? And the feathers on that one are only black and red. The one on the far left has a light yellow head with red black and white feathers. Does this mean they are different breeds or are they just in different stages? Or do some breeds just vary as to how they look as chicks but look similar as adults? I am seriously brand new at this so I would really appreciate your help! Thanks!

PS: I freaking LOVE being a chick (and solo duckling) momma!

We have 5 week old Buff Orpingtons and they did not have any variance in their wing feathers when they came in. They were a smooth light tan color. I'm guessing they are not Orpingtons.

They look like 'production reds' which may be : Hatchery bred RIR, RIR with a cross of New Hampshire somewhere in the background, or perhaps RIR with a shot of leghorn in the background. They are not buff orpingtons.

X2. I have two that looked identical to these and they are RIRs now (I've been told "production red"). Not orps in my (very un authorative) chicken opinion.

They look like 'production reds' which may be : Hatchery bred RIR, RIR with a cross of New Hampshire somewhere in the background, or perhaps RIR with a shot of leghorn in the background. They are not buff orpingtons.

Ooooh, OK. So it's looking like they are RIRs, but maybe mixed with something else? Any idea on what color they will be as adults? Or do I just have to be patient and wait? To be honest, I'm just worried that they will grow up and all be the same color and I won't be able to tell them apart!

Mine looked almost identical at this stage, but now they are mostly red, and the stripes that you see on the wings are just down at the very tips. If yours stay like that then they probably aren't what mine are. Couldn't tell you what though.

Good luck - there are people here who KNOW chicken breeds in an almost scary fasion. Someone will know.

I just got 2 sold as RHODE Island Reds and they probably are Production Reds. Mine are different too. One is a dark red and one is a yellowish in he face. I'm guessing the yellowish one is crossed with something? Mine have the same wing colors as yours do.

Last edited:
I got my chicks almost 2 weeks ago, 2 'red pullets' and 4 straight run buff orpingtons. Your chicks look almost exactly like my red pullets, so I'm glad to see some guesses on breeds, I too wondered what they'd look like as adults since I was expecting just red feathers rather than the patterned ones. My buff orpington chicks were little yellow chicks and their feathers are all coming in a cream color, no stripes or anything.

Veeeery interesting. At this point I feel pretty confident that they are NOT buff orpingtons. I was hoping for rhode island reds, but I will be happy so long as they lay eggs for me. :)

So, the fact that their feathers are coming in multi-colored, does that mean they will stay that way as adults? Or will the feathers change colors as they mature?

Back
Top Bottom