Rhode Island Reds? Or Orpingtons?

Ah-Ha! So it looks like I have 2 RIRs and 3 Red sex-links. Thanks sooo much!! That was super helpful!

I just bought some Rhode Island Reds...here are some photos so you can compare to yours. Does anyone know how to tell hen from rooster? The rest of my flock is Barred Rock and I can now identity the hens by their darker feathers, is it the same with RIR?

1. They look like rhode island reds or production rhode island reds. They are breed for high egg production and are very good layers. Dont show them at a fair or a poultry show as a Rhode Island Red as they will not get very far. There are two types of Rhode Island Reds and have been for about 75 years. The old kind or what people call Heritage RI Reds are very rare and not many can be purchaed as eggs or chicks. The other kind for egg production reds are sold by the thousands. Type Heritage Rhode Island Reds in the search section in this site and see the threads that have been started then you can see the difference in the adult birds. Both are great chickens just are different in the way they look and are breed. bob old time red breeder.

I say Rhode Island Reds. I just hatched a batch from our flock and they look exactly like yours. They will be red all over when they grow up. You can vent sex them when they are a day old, if you know how to....I don't!
We got ours from a hatchery and have been very pleased with them. Very hardy and extremely friendly. Now, my DH did go out and sit with them every day as chicks and talk to them and pet them, LOL! They lay an egg every day so far. Ours are about eight months old.

1. They look like rhode island reds or production rhode island reds. They are breed for high egg production and are very good layers. Dont show them at a fair or a poultry show as a Rhode Island Red as they will not get very far. There are two types of Rhode Island Reds and have been for about 75 years. The old kind or what people call Heritage RI Reds are very rare and not many can be purchaed as eggs or chicks. The other kind for egg production reds are sold by the thousands. Type Heritage Rhode Island Reds in the search section in this site and see the threads that have been started then you can see the difference in the adult birds. Both are great chickens just are different in the way they look and are breed. bob old time red breeder.

What is your opion of the breed, and gender in my pics above?

They look like production reds. You cant make a decision on the sex of a chick until they are at least five weeks old. The combs start to shoot up on Cockerels. I dont know why people are so worried what they will be. Its a draw of the gods. some years you get more males than females and the next year you get the opposite. Its about a 50 50 deal over a ten year period. This is the egg laying line you have. I have the meat and so so egg laying line that are dark dark red. bob

What is your opion of the breed, and gender in my pics above?

I believe the RIR rooster chick will have a brown spot on the top of his head. The BR hen will have a white spot on hers. I may have that backward but I know there is a non invasive way to sex test these type of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom