Rhode Island Reds vs. Buff Orpingtons

I love my Buffs for freindlyness but they haven't started laying so I dont know how they lay.
The RIR are Quite flighty and agrressive but lay good.
I think get both and then decide which one you like more.

I have both
big_smile.png

I have both the RIR are my oldest chickens. They are the only surviviors of a opossum attack years ago. I had to hand feed Roo for months. He is the calmist rooster I have ever seen. We had to take him out of the pen when our younger rooster decided the hens were his. Poor Roo couldn't even come out of the coop So now he and his lady freerange and they have their own little coop.But I will say when he was head rooster the girls didn't have bare backs like with the younger rooster. I'm ready to get rid of him too. Now my Orp rooster is OK with me but goes after my daughter when she feeds for me. She thinks hes very nasty. I just let him know whos boss and he leaves me alone.

mom'sfolly :

I have both.

The RIRs are nosy, friendly, bossy and bold. They think painted toes are food, no matter how many times they are told differently. They knock on the door and ask for snacks. They lay enormous eggs pretty much daily. The roo, even at 4 months was becoming nasty so he had to go.

Yep, sounds just like my RIR ladies (no roo experience here). Rosie is jumping at the door every morning when I go out to let them out, and if I'm not careful she'll bolt out the human door every single time. I've got three, Rosie is the one with the biggest personality. I have to say, though, they never have gone for my toenails, maybe because I shy away from bright reds and stick to nice pinks and corals.

The BOs are calm, timid, fluffy golden balls. Big Buff is everything you could wish for in a rooster; gentlemanly, protective but not aggressive and beautiful. These girls are consistently laying eggs, even without suppplemental light, and look like mobile balls of sunshine

I've got three BOs, one's a roo, and he is all of the above. Fairly quiet, too. I have to say I'm partial to the Buffs, they're so pretty, and the friendliest of my girls. Queenie was the first to give us eggs, and Abby flies up and lands on us when we sit out there. She's a love!
love.gif

Both breeds freerange well, and follow me to the snacks.

I join the chant:

Get Both
get both
get both
get both
get both

Yep, get both. Then add what's in my sig
gig.gif

I've never had Orps so I can't really say about them. However, I have a utility quality type RIR and mine are great. I raised them from day olds here (got them at the feed store by a local breeder) and mine are super sweet easy going birds. I really enjoy them. I have heard the opposite for some people with RIRs so I guess its a matter of what you get and where you get it. I like my birds though.

That being said.... I'm more of the type who says get both! Haha! So I'm looking for some Orps too.
wink.png

On average, RIRs lay more eggs over a lifetime. On average, Orps are more easy-going and pettable. On average.

They're both nice breeds, and I've had both in the past. If you cross them together you get flaming orange birds, too, so there are all sorts of fun things you can do with these breeds.

I have had both. I love my RIRs. My experience with BO was not good. I hatched 2 Bo from Jody and they do not fall into the comments that are to follow. I bought eggs from a breeder off Ebay. These birds were very skittish and ran from me like I had an ax in my hand every time I went to the coop. They were small for being Bo and were afraid to free range. It seemed to me that the BO I hatched out were just the opposite as the breed is known for. They really turned me off to owning BO.
My RIRs were also hatched from eggs that I bought off of a breeder. They are just the opposite of the BO that I hatched. They are very friendly, love to see me coming with treats, free range very effectivley and are beautiful birds. RIRs lay year around, lay large eggs, do well with minimal feed quality and will thrive in coop conditions that are not the best. My birds are very quiet and calm. The roosters keep an eye on me but are not aggressive except when I am hand feeding treats, and then they are the first in line.
Not all birds live up to the reputation of the breed, either it be bad or good. Buy your birds or hatching eggs from someone you know and that will stand behind the quality and temperment of their flock.
The 2 BO I hatched from Jody's eggs were beautiful birds and had I bought more eggs from her I probably would have BO instead of RIR. But I changed to RIR and I am very happy with the birds I have. So I suggest you get a few of both from good breeders and and them make up your mind which you prefer.

Just a note, one of my RIR is from Ideal, one of Jody's breeding. All my BOs are Jody's. I need to get pics of BIg Buff and post them because I want to know how "typy" he is.

Back
Top Bottom