Rhode Island Reds

yanks26

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Connecticut
I have a friend who has a bunch of these. If I hatch these chickens what can I expect to sell them for? How much do they sell for on average?

Depends on where your at around here in east Tenn. my experience you usually get between 8 to 10 dollars if they are close to laying age. Sometimes less sometimes a little more. Just my experience.

As days old chicks $2.00-$5.00 ($5.00 being high)

Like I said in another post if they are close to laying age (18-30 weeks) $10-$15 per bird in some areas !!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it costs too much for me to hold them for that long. That is why I need to get rid of them right after incubation lol

Quote:
I understand !!!! All depending on the market around you !! A hatchery would sell them as days old for about $2.50 and they can sex the chicks.

RIR's are pretty average chicks, the are for egg laying and can also be used to eat, Nothing special and wont bring in a lot of money !!

Quote:
If you cannot care for the birds you hatch for longer than it takes to hatch them, perhaps you should consider another "big business" in which to get rich quick? Just a thought.

I AM into this for the money but I AM ALSO into this for the hobby. I enjoy it all it is just that I dont have the capacity to actually raise live chickens in my backyard.

All of these were good questions. I think with the price of feed, water, waters, coops, etc even if we don't consider our time, we need to watch our out go of funds. I certainly just hope that I'm breaking even, but don't run my totals on a regular basis, cause I might not be. RIR's in GA are very popular and when I do have chickens for sale, the RIR's go first.

RIRs are a great laying breed, and dual purpose too. If you raise them to the point where the roos are obvious, then you might want to consider selling them as meat chickens fairly cheaply and charging s substantial premium for the pullets. Like a lot of folks have stated, you can get professionally sexed "chicks" from a hatchery. Since I assume you cannot determine the sex, I would put you in the category of selling straight run chicks and I can buy production RIRs in quantity 25 for $1.66 today. And being that I am close enough to Ideal to drive and pickup myself I pay no postage, much like your potential customers. Its tough to compete with the big guys unless you have the room to put in the work and time to raise them until the point of lay. I sell POL RIR (18-20 wks) pullets for $25.00. I suggest you start keeping records of your cash outlay. I think your hobby is doomed to never result in a profit unless you find room to actually raise the birds.

Back
Top Bottom