1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode island reds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Orpingtonlover, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    i just have 2 questions about the breed are they good mothers as far as setting on there eggs and how many eggs will they lay before they decide to sit on them thanks!

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there, I'm not sure about RIR being good mothers.You may want to wait until the pullets eggs are bigger.When they first start laying pullets eggs are smaller,you need to wait awhile before you try to hatch any. How long that is I really don't know [​IMG]
    Well that wasn't much help [​IMG]

Miriam

3. livestock101

livestock101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2007
    We've owned RIR's for more than 2 years now and I have yet to see one set on any eggs. They are some of our top layers, great birds....just dont sit on eggs. This has been our experience with the breed.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree....my RIR are a year old...they lay GREAT....large brown eggs....and even payed right through the winter....but not ONE broody hen.. UGH!

[​IMG]

Thats why we got the Buff Orpingtons...I hear they go broody alot!

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't speak to the RIR question, but I can tell you that from experience, Buff Orps definitely have a tendency to go broody and are very serious about their setting!!!

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Most RIR are not , they are production reds and as their name indicates, they should not go broody, they are bred to lay and forget.

True RIR, will go broody, but appear to be so so mothers, however I have only spoke with about 4 breeders on this subject so , that may or may not be hold true across the board.

7. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Yeah the RIR or Production Reds are really not broody. They pretty much are just bred for their reliable egg-laying capacity.

If you want broody hens go for something more like the Ameraucana, the Brahma, the Sussex or the Orpington (whom I heard was also an excellent mother).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree. I have three RIRs, all over a year old. None have even hinted at going broody.

9. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Well...

I have a RIR named Marti. She's about 8 months old now.

Last week, I noticed instead of 5 eggs a day from our flock, there were 2, then 3, then 2, then 1, then 2.

I kept telling my kids, they have GOT to be laying outside of the nest box.

We've been clearning out our back yard and have piles of brush everywhere until we rent a chipper shredder this weekend.

Couldn't find them. So, I assume we may be dealing with a predator, so I start shutting down the hen house at night.

Last Sunday, the kids came inside, screaming, "Moma moma, Marti is in a new area trying to lay an egg, but she's puffing and making a hissing sound and won't let us around her!!!"

I go out there, and sure enough, there is Marti, concealed in a brush pile.

She was hissing and looking like a turkey, and then she stood up for a brief second, and she was laying on a TREASURE TROVE of eggs!

I approached and she let me take them out from under her, but she wasn't happy about it...total tally...14...yes, 14 eggs!!! [​IMG]

Kristi

10. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    thank you so should i just take her eggs as she lays them? and will she lay in the same place if i keep taking them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by