Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sdm1277, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sdm1277

sdm1277 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2010
    POLAND MAINE
    I Started With Rhode Island Reds And White Leg Horns. I Am Starting To Think That Those Are Not People Friendly Birds.... What Do You Think? I Have Bantams As Well And They Are Great!!
    Anyone Have Experience With These Reds And Whites That Can Give Me Advice?

2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I have raised RIR for years. They are aggressive when they are young. Get a little better with age. They are good layers though. Bantams are no comparison in my opinion and I have raised both.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    My RIR's have not been very friendly, but now that they are over a year old, they are a little better. They are aggressive with the other birds, too, but I have successfully decreased that.

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have had both hatchery and now some exhibtion style RIR and both were very nice birds. I do not pick mine up and so forth but they follow me around and the roosters have not been aggressive at all. I think aggression sort of runs in strains. My hatchey stock was from Privett and my heritage ones are from a couple of differnet sources. I think it really has to do with the particular bunch of birds.

I had a whole bunch of Hatchery slw a couple of years ago and they were the meanest roosters I have ever known. those were from Murry Mcmurry I beleive.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I have a RIR that is a little over a year old. Within a few days of starting to lay she became the friendliest bird in the flock. She wants to be petted all of the time and likes to be held. I got 4 more this year but they are still too young to know if they will be friendly or not. One of them turned out to be a rooster. He will be leaving the flock in another week or two. I am only going to keep one but got three this year. I am keeping a very friendly white leghorn rooster but if he starts crowing too much or gets too aggressive with the hens he will be eliminated as well.

6. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have both rhode island reds and white lehorns i got them a couple months ago they are a year old. the reds are calm birds. but the leghorns are flighty. they run if i walk in the coop they want to get away . i have seen them be laying in nestbox and i open coop door and out they will come right out to the run . they lay good though .

7. Flannery Eau

Flannery Eau Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    St Louis
    I have a RIR that is about 3 months old and she is extremely friendly! She likes to be held and comes right up to me looking for treats. Whenever one of my dogs gets near and I am holding her, though, she gives a warning chirp and then pecks them square on the nose (good girl!)! She is the youngest and smallest of my 4-chicken flock but I don't expect they will be picking on her as soon as she gets a bit bigger!

8. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Ya know, I think maybe they are like people. Maybe they have different personalities. Dunno. I have 7 RIR hens. Three are freindly and curious. One is a meany and another one is frightened of her own shadow. I do have a Cochin that is almost like a lap dog tho..

9. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I have 3 hatchery RIRs, and I couldn't ask for friendlier birds. They all come up to me and beg to be in my lap and all 3 will fall asleep when I pet them. I got mine as day olds and handled them VERY often.

10. Lola12

Lola12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    My 7 RIR hens are quite friendly, but I really don't handle them....they always greet me when I come out the pen. They are 15 weeks old and have gotten friendlier as they've gotten older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by