Rhode island reds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jonbanks, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    i have just started raising chickens . i love it ! HOW CAN I TELL IF MY RIR s area male or female. i have four and one seems very agressive so i feel like thats a rooster but how can i tell. i noticed they all have difenet colored beaks some have red beaks some have a yellow white, and one has red and white. im so confused

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check the legs first. Cockerels have much thicker legs, usually. Then the saddle area starts getting thin, very shiny, pointy feathers in under the back feathers at three months old or so.

3. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    if it helps heres a pic of my laying rir pullet maybe for when there older
    [​IMG]

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    If the feet are thick and the comb is larger than the others its a roo. If its attacking you its most likely a roo.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Now to answer your question. Like speckledhen stated, you can start telling in the legs first. The cockerels seem to have very thick legs while the pullets had more dainty, pencil thin legs. Then you watch the combs and wattles. The cockerel's will get their red combs and wattles first. My RIR's started showing the tale tell signs of being roosters around 4 wks. old. If you could take some pictures and post them, we would all be happy to help you on sexing your chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by