Rhode Island WHITE?

Rhode Island Whites are a Rose Comb Breed there are no Single Comb Rhode Island Whites.

Chris
I know this is an old thread but Chris you are so true. I am so tired of Hatcheries selling RIW's and they are single comb. They really are White Plymonth Rocks that they call RIW's. I have just made my own RIW's and they are 100 % better than any hatchery bird.

This years pullet

Momma

Way way better than any hatchery bird...and these girls lay very well.

The white single combed chickens sold by hatcheries such as Cackle as SC Rhode Island Whites are NOT White Plymouth Rocks in most cases, but are commercialized Rhode Island Whites(For want of a better description). The simple explanation for this confusion and misinformation is that major egg production breeders needed brown egg laying females to cross with Rhode Island Red males to produce Sex Linked offspring. White Plymouth Rocks were readily available but poor layers in most cases and, also, not always carriers of the silver factor. Major breeders developed the Single Comb RIW strains solely to use as female parent stock to produce Red Sex Links. A secondary consideration was the unacceptability of a rose combed bird as a part of a mass production flock, again for obvious reasons. As anyone would expect, eventually some of these production breeding birds became available to the general public as regular egg and meat chickens. Heritage breeders are absolutely right to protest the mislabeling/naming of questionable breeds and varieties. There is so much incorrect information on the internet and so many people trying to take advantage of the unwary that I often wonder how you good people who devote so much time and energy to doing the right thing are able to keep going and keep your sanity. I am just trying to help here; not take the side of the jerks . However, I don't believe that the Smith family at Cackle and other reputable hatcheries are trying to mislead or cheat anyone. But could do a better job describing their stock. Maybe.

I would talk to the breeder then and see if they happen to have other breeds. It is easy when collecting eggs to accidentally mark an egg and place it into the shipment. How old is the bird and any pictures? If the bird is at least 16 weeks it is a little easier to tell what you might have.

the breeded has a lot of other breeded .and Rhode island white I have there are 8 month old .and I love them I don't mind white I still love them .
is was only why I was asking how that happen .so I know now .and Thank you for telling me about it .some people on this page say the same
.so i understand now .and Thank you
I will Take some photo of my Rhode island white in next few days and Thank again

Back
Top Bottom