Rhode Islanders!!

lisswain

Hatching
Feb 11, 2015
Hi! I'm going to (barring any resistance from the zoning committee) be getting some hens in the next few months. I would love to pick up rather than have them shipped. Does anyone know of a hatchery in our area? I'd prefer pullet - looking for 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rock and 2 Ameracaunas
Thanks!

Welcome,

When I started last year with my chickens I wanted to start with Pullets too. They were/are very hard to find so we got (7) day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery. They all arrived alive and 10 months later they are doing great. After May you can order a small amount so we waited since we did not want that many. Check out their website. https://www.meyerhatchery.com/index.a5w

Living in NE make sure you get winter hardy birds like:
Barred Rock
Buff Orpington
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Buff Brahma (big beautiful birds)

Those are a few that we have and they are great birds and lay an egg a day for the most part. Some of them are winter layers so you will get eggs in the winter but not as many (maybe 3 a week per bird).

We also got 3 polish which are doing fine in this crazy winter but our run is covered on 3 sides so it keeps some of the wind/snow out. Let me know if you have any other questions - I will try to share my experience so far :) What part or RI are you in? We are just west 20 miles west of Worcester.

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom