Rhode Islands?

FrogGurr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014

Are all 4 of these hens Rhodeys? They are subtlety different.

None of them are pure Rhode Island Red. The one on the left with the white tail is a Red Sex Link hen. The other three are Production Red hens.

Left to right you have a red sex link, in front likely a hatchery New Hampshire or production red, in back a production red, and on the right looks like a hatchery Rhode Island.

Red sex links have white tips and tails
New Hampshires have black tips and tails, and are a more orange-ish color.
Production reds are just generic looking, nonspecific red hens.
Rhode Island Reds, the good ones are a mahogany color. Hatchery birds have a darker tone than production reds, and richer, darker color than New Hamps.

Thank you guys! I am new to chickens and just wanna know what I have.
Any clue n this girl? She sure is pretty.

Left to right you have a red sex link, in front likely a hatchery New Hampshire or production red, in back a production red, and on the right looks like a hatchery Rhode Island.

Rhode Island Reds, the good ones are a mahogany color. Hatchery birds have a darker tone than production reds, and richer, darker color than New Hamps.

I can agree with you on that. I not sure that some of our HN and RIR breeders would though. It's often a very fine and blurry thread between Production Reds and hatchery RIRs and NHs. :eek:)

I agree.

x3

Back
Top Bottom