Rhode Rock laid a blue egg??🤯

-Lulu-

Hatching
Jun 18, 2022
Ok I’m majorly confused, we recently got 3 chickens. Skyline, Bluebell and Rhode Rock.

The skyline was laying when we got her and the Rhode Rock looked ready. Today I got 2 blue eggs in the space of an hour. I seen both of them in that nesting box so conclusion would be 1 each buuut the Rhode Rock isn’t supposed to lay blue. Now I’m questioning is she is a Rhode Rock. We wanted one of them so when we went to pick my daughter wanted 1 with the most ‘green shimmer’. She is basically black with no red neck.

Has anyone got any insights on this?

Are you sure you didn't choose an Ameraucana? They can come in black, among a handful of other possible colorations. Does she happen to have some ear tufts/muffs? Try looking for pictures on Google and see if any match what you have.

Are you sure you didn't choose an Ameraucana? They can come in black, among a handful of other possible colorations. Does she happen to have some ear tufts/muffs? Try looking for pictures on Google and see if any match what you have.
I do t think she is, not the best photo but this is her

Attachments

• E9C7ECE7-EA1E-4F7C-99E0-840085C28676.jpeg
    E9C7ECE7-EA1E-4F7C-99E0-840085C28676.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 16
She is not a Rhode Rock, but I am unsure of her breed. She may be phantom laying. The Skyline and Bluebell are both colored egglayers.
I did ask at the time and the guy said she was, just without the red neck. We will love her all the same. I was just confused as I was positive i had done enough research etc.

I'm no expert on breeds, especially with but a photo to go on, but my best guess would be a black australorp. They should lay light brown eggs. My thinking is that she may not be the hen that laid the egg, even though she sat as if she were trying to do so. Do chickens get Braxton's hicks? Haha. An Ameraucana doesn't usually have those wattles. I suppose there are always exceptions, but that photo doesn't look representative of an Ameraucana to me.

Back
Top Bottom