"Rhodebar" from RIR x BR cross

Felix1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Is it possible to create a "Rhodebar" by crossing a Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock using the same method used for Welbars, Legbars, etc. I am interested in the idea and am willing to put in the time and work if it is possible. I have read that the wheaten gene in the RIR causes issues but was wondering if it could be overcame or not.

Thanks.

Is it possible to create a "Rhodebar" by crossing a Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock using the same method used for Welbars, Legbars, etc. I am interested in the idea and am willing to put in the time and work if it is possible. I have read that the wheaten gene in the RIR causes issues but was wondering if it could be overcame or not.

Thanks.
Pure Rhodebars are based on the wildtype e+ allele, so you will not be creating true Rhodebars, but I know someone that is working on Hambars(autosexing New Hampshire) but his hambars are based on wheaten, he can sex the chicks by the combination of many genes because wheaten on itself is not capable of producing this, so the combination is the sex linked gold gene(s+), Mahogany(red enhancer) and sex linked barring, males will inherit two copies of the barring gene and will be much lighter than the females, the males will be light cream color and females will be rich brown color thanks to mahogany, the thing is that your first and second crosses will not be autosexing and it will be hard to spot the single barred males from the barred females.

I would like to add that if I had very good quality RIR and BR then I would try to create a Red Barred RIR even if they are not autosexing, single barred males look the most beautiful and the females look good too.

Yes that is a stunning bird - thank you for sharing. I plan to give it a go - wish me luck!

Once you had a male like the one in the pic, you would have to keep breeding back to pure RIR females... as that male is single barred and hence unpure for barring,,,, He would not breed pure... it would be sorta like breeding blue....

Back
Top Bottom