rhododendron

valegal74

In the Brooder
May 31, 2018
I had the birds roaming around today, and I have my garden fenced off, save for a couple of openings. Usually I keep them out completely, but since it's winter and most of the plants are dormant, I sometimes let them dig around there as well.

Well, my Americauna tends to nip at most plants, and completely forgot about the rhododendron. Of course, she grabbed a leaf and I'm fairly certain she swallowed a bit of it. :( I feel horrible... is there anything proactive I can do at this point besides keep a close watch?

Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed then. I fed her a bunch of treats so hopefully it encourages that leaf to exit her system sooner rather than later!

She'll be fine, their liver filters out a reasonable amount of toxicity just like ours does. One little bite won't do a thing. The ladies here have full acess to the garden, many unsavory plants mainly rhodies and lantanas "for the pollinators" many, many test bites and no deaths. Relax. :)
Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed then. I fed her a bunch of treats so hopefully it encourages that leaf to exit her system sooner rather than later!

I suspect your chicken will be just fine. My yard is full of various plants that are poisonous/toxic to chickens. They free range daily nearly all day. I don't restrict their access to anything. I'm sure every one of them have sampled everything in the yard. None have ever shown even the slightest symptoms of being poisoned.

Back
Top Bottom