Ribh's D'Coopage

Please feel better soon. Is this something that will continue for you? I feel like you have had this procedure at least once before.
:hugs :hugs
Melanoma is one of Queensland's biggest killers. Every 12 months my Dr does a skin check & cuts out any pre~cancerous cells. It's not fun but better than the alternative.

Good evening folks :frow

Jeannie, that sounds quite entertaining.

Shad, you make a good point, I know early american settlers never fed grain to their birds. I wonder how our factory approach to breeding has impacted their digestive systems as well as their desire to forage?
I find it an interesting topic. You may remember you were kind enough to send me copies of some feed analysis/formulations.
It is quite a complex subject if approached with the known science in mind. This would be my preferred way. But, some of these men have generations of what worked and what didn't to work with.
My next step is to try and get Mohamed to write down, preferably in Catalan or English, what his feed comprises. I need quantities and types. Then I can make some assessment of their chemical values.
I've come across two or three different fowl specific feeds here now. What and how one feeds ones birds is a pretty well guarded secret because all the custom feeds are taken from cock fighting breeders as far as I can gather.
The guy with the Fayoumies feeds once a day. They are 30 gram portions. This he considers to be a very generous portion. He thinks 20 gram portions worked best. One of the reasons he feeds them at all is to keep them on the property. Also, like many chicken keepers, going to roost time is a good opportunity to get a good look at all the birds.
I would like to feed something else than the commercial feed I do now.
I do face a feed problem that I think most free range chicken keepers face; the more you feed the less they forage. I'm currently feeding three times a day mostly because it helps with flock security from predators. The chickens aren't hungry enough to risk more than dawn and dusk forage ventures.

Good morning folks :frow

I find it an interesting topic. You may remember you were kind enough to send me copies of some feed analysis/formulations.
It is quite a complex subject if approached with the known science in mind. This would be my preferred way. But, some of these men have generations of what worked and what didn't to work with.
My next step is to try and get Mohamed to write down, preferably in Catalan or English, what his feed comprises. I need quantities and types. Then I can make some assessment of their chemical values.
I've come across two or three different fowl specific feeds here now. What and how one feeds ones birds is a pretty well guarded secret because all the custom feeds are taken from cock fighting breeders as far as I can gather.
The guy with the Fayoumies feeds once a day. They are 30 gram portions. This he considers to be a very generous portion. He thinks 20 gram portions worked best. One of the reasons he feeds them at all is to keep them on the property. Also, like many chicken keepers, going to roost time is a good opportunity to get a good look at all the birds.
I would like to feed something else than the commercial feed I do now.
I do face a feed problem that I think most free range chicken keepers face; the more you feed the less they forage. I'm currently feeding three times a day mostly because it helps with flock security from predators. The chickens aren't hungry enough to risk more than dawn and dusk forage ventures.
I'm reasonably convinced that many of our birds have had foraging breaded out of them. Here, those who feed pasture raised birds in the most natural possible environment only feed twice per day and then only 4.5oz per bird per day. the rest is what they forage. But to be clear, those birds are following three days behind the cattle. fly larvae emerges after three days. So the chickens are spreading the cow poop and getting rid of the flies (aka pasture maintenance) while getting their nutrition.

Good morning folks :frow

I'm reasonably convinced that many of our birds have had foraging breaded out of them. Here, those who feed pasture raised birds in the most natural possible environment only feed twice per day and then only 4.5oz per bird per day. the rest is what they forage. But to be clear, those birds are following three days behind the cattle. fly larvae emerges after three days. So the chickens are spreading the cow poop and getting rid of the flies (aka pasture maintenance) while getting their nutrition.
What I see here is the mums teaching the chicks to forage. Some must be instinct but it's interesting to see that hens still teach the chicks to do it.
So, feeding say 5oz per day (140 grams roughly) is a massive increase from 20 grams. You must have a large breed.

Back
Top Bottom