Ribh's D'Coopage

That's amazing. Mine will not sit if I peak in. They run. I must be very frightening. 😥
Most of mine will let me slide a hand under them to remove eggs ~ even Luna who doesn't like being handled. I don't usually do it to the Campines but I am allowed to lift the lid & look without everyone abandoning nests!:lol: And both Ha'penny & Aoife will tolerate an egg collection from under them. Morrigu won't. She goes ballistic. I've got 1 or 2 that really hate it. Beatha gets upset but she's not a sitter like Mhari is. Mhari will collect eggs & sit all day so I prefer to collect as we go. Alpia has always been a super sweet, super friendly little hen. She goes out of her way to let me know she's there & would like some attention. I'll have to watch that because she's become quite chunky! :gig

Mine will not sit if I peak in. They run.
@BY Bob : I was thinking about this & realised all my 1st hens [BRs & Australorps] were really placid, docile types that had no problems with me around the nesting boxes. They are now my top hens & I believe have trained the younger birds that I am not a threat so that even my flightiest birds are reasonably ok whereas you had Leghorns, who like my Campines are flightier, & probably taught everyone to flee. Just a thought. I will probably always keep 1 or 2 BRs in my flock for exactly this reason. They are such large placid birds they seem to help keep the whole flock lovely & calm. I found the Australorps a bit domineering but the BRs don't have the attitude. Just their presence seems calming. Mind you, Soda is a huge hen now. Bigger than Lavender & weighs in heavy.

Most of mine will let me slide a hand under them to remove eggs ~ even Luna who doesn't like being handled. I don't usually do it to the Campines but I am allowed to lift the lid & look without everyone abandoning nests!:lol: And both Ha'penny & Aoife will tolerate an egg collection from under them. Morrigu won't. She goes ballistic. I've got 1 or 2 that really hate it. Beatha gets upset but she's not a sitter like Mhari is. Mhari will collect eggs & sit all day so I prefer to collect as we go. Alpia has always been a super sweet, super friendly little hen. She goes out of her way to let me know she's there & would like some attention. I'll have to watch that because she's become quite chunky! :gig
I have someone who is breaking an egg every day right now. Everyone but Phyllis is laying in the same nest box. Someone is smashing an egg and not eating it. Maybe on their way out? Nothing is wrong with the shells.

I have someone who is breaking an egg every day right now. Everyone but Phyllis is laying in the same nest box. Someone is smashing an egg and not eating it. Maybe on their way out? Nothing is wrong with the shells.
Who's your klutz? Lavender is mine & usually responsible for any broken eggs. She doesn't even realise... 🙄

@BY Bob : I was thinking about this & realised all my 1st hens [BRs & Australorps] were really placid, docile types that had no problems with me around the nesting boxes. They are now my top hens & I believe have trained the younger birds that I am not a threat so that even my flightiest birds are reasonably ok whereas you had Leghorns, who like my Campines are flightier, & probably taught everyone to flee. Just a thought. I will probably always keep 1 or 2 BRs in my flock for exactly this reason. They are such large placid birds they seem to help keep the whole flock lovely & calm. I found the Australorps a bit domineering but the BRs don't have the attitude. Just their presence seems calming. Mind you, Soda is a huge hen now. Bigger than Lavender & weighs in heavy.
That may just make sense. Sydney is significantly smaller than Hattie. I expected them to be similar in size. She is very calm though. Except when Sansa is chasing her. 🤣

I've never had this problem before. I'm not sure who. How did you figure it out?
Just observation, Bob, & knowing who's eggs are whose. Lavender has always been clumsy. She's the one who drops an egg from the top roost overnight & smashes it on the coop floor. She's the one who steps on her egg as she exits the nesting box. I lose more of her eggs than anyone else because she's so big & clumsy. Mind you, I'm in & out of the nesting boxes all day because I don't like to leave them sit. Between snakes & broodies it's best I collect pretty quickly, so I probably have more chance of seeing what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom