Ribh's D'Coopage

I planted yesterday so naturally last night it rained. :)
It's still dampish this morning but one of the things I like about where we have our chicken coop is I can stand @ my end living room window & check on my girls

a98109ac-d6c4-464f-a5b6-afe88bf65608.jpg

Yep, they're up & stuffing their faces. :D
a98109ac-d6c4-464f-a5b6-afe88bf65608 (2).jpg

I was looking for the walki Talkies on the table.:confused: You don't really shout at each other from one end of that sofa to the other do you?:lau
Nope. We both have a chair up near the fire. :D It looks longer than it is but when we had a full house we really appreciated all the space. 😝

It's getting on for autumn here and all the wildlife have got winter shelter on their minds....apart from the hens of course who don't seem to be able to think further than babies at the moment.
Loads of little spiders have appeared in various corners. I catch as many as I can before I vacum but quite a few get sucked up.:(
Mrs Badger is coming around earlier. She's after the walnuts, trying to get a bit of fat on for the winter.
Tribe 2's coop floor is covered in feathers again. I cleaned it out a couple of days ago and you cant see the floor now.
Donk's tail feathers are growing in at last and she's eating more. No sign of Treacles tail feathers growing back yet, or his dads. Mag from Tribe 2 has a very stumpy looking rear end currently. His tail feathers went when something grabbed his arse a few weeks ago. He's got a good thick clump growing back in now. I need to do his spurs. I felt them with a finger while he was eating this evening and they're too sharp for the hens now, not that he's showing much interest in any bar Lock.
Lots of minor coop repairs to get done. Going to have to make do with the peeling ply on the roofs for the winter and cover them with butile sheet.

It's getting on for autumn here and all the wildlife have got winter shelter on their minds....apart from the hens of course who don't seem to be able to think further than babies at the moment.
Loads of little spiders have appeared in various corners. I catch as many as I can before I vacum but quite a few get sucked up.:(
Mrs Badger is coming around earlier. She's after the walnuts, trying to get a bit of fat on for the winter.
Tribe 2's coop floor is covered in feathers again. I cleaned it out a couple of days ago and you cant see the floor now.
Donk's tail feathers are growing in at last and she's eating more. No sign of Treacles tail feathers growing back yet, or his dads. Mag from Tribe 2 has a very stumpy looking rear end currently. His tail feathers went when something grabbed his arse a few weeks ago. He's got a good thick clump growing back in now. I need to do his spurs. I felt them with a finger while he was eating this evening and they're too sharp for the hens now, not that he's showing much interest in any bar Lock.
Lots of minor coop repairs to get done. Going to have to make do with the peeling ply on the roofs for the winter and cover them with butile sheet.
Yes, you have to prepare for harder winters than we get. Spring is coming in slowly this year. We are still lighting a small fire in the evenings. Usually it's already stinking hot here by the middle of September & we don't get rain like we have been having but this year is being cold & drizzly. Better for the girls. It gives them some time to adjust to the heat.

Should be another quiet one. Hoping to get another small section of the run extension completed. It's a go slow process as I have 1 hand mostly out of action & the man lost 15% of his body weight while he was ill [mostly muscle] so we're a pair of old crocks @ present. Then I'll do the chicken coop & hunt round for some old bricks because I thought some elephant ear might survive the girls. I have a clump of shell ginger going that looks like it will make it though it has struggled as I've had to surround the roots with bricks & it hasn't had a lot of water but now its established it should grow well. We did our 2nd eduction on our other beehive last night too so need to keep an eye on that ... just the round of small things that make up our life. :D
Sorry to hear that you and the man are not at 100% at the moment. I hope you are both soon fighting fit!

I loved your plans for yesterday. Sounds like a lot of nurturing for chooks and the garden. Much more satisfying than vacuuming and dusting!

Back
Top Bottom