Ribh's D'Coopage

I lost the smallest Vorwerk early this morning ~ just as I was thinking I had the flock beautifully stable! 🙄 . I had both her & Gloriana inside for observation after a week of heavy rain & storms. Vorwerks are supposed to be hardy but I swear I've had more trouble with these birds than any 2 other breeds!

Gloriana was in because she just seemed off. She's not been quite herself since the snake attack but all the human contact means she is now really easy to handle & she is eating & drinking well though her poos could be better.

I've been checking the girls every break in the weather but the Vorwerks have an awful tendency to lie about. Any other chicken this would be a cause for concern but not a Vorwerk. So very strange. However I found everyone huddled about my girl, something they don't normally do, so I grabbed her & brought her in. She was wet & cold ~ but no more than anyone else. Dried her off, dosed her up, she perked up & had something to eat & drink & I was hopeful. She was looking & acting much brighter. I put her in with Gloriana & moved them into the kitchen, which is considerably warmer than our bathroom but those cold early hours of the morning are when the soul tends to slip away. I heard her go & got up so Gloriana didn't have to be with her dead friend. I have no idea. :idunnoI think there might have been something wrong as she was always on the outer with every single other chicken ~ including her sisters~ & right @ the bottom of the pecking order. I'm sorry to lose her but not devastated. She had a good life here if shorter than it should have been. There were no obvious signs of illness or disease. It seems she just gave up the will to live. :confused:
:hugs

Well I'm all caught up, but I added 3+ pages of posts doing so! :D

I kept reading looking for the recipe for the Pavlova @Ribh. Would love it when you have the time! 💞
Sorry, Rene. I've been on major babysitting duties & not even keeping up on my own thread. :( I might get a chance Wednesday...:fl

Happy Caturday! This is a picture of Emma, the little Pixie Bob that we had. My husband cut down a tree and built this for her! We gave it to our son for his cats!

View attachment 2656924
That is amazing! He should come build one of these for my lads.

Wow, that's amazing, I had no idea that could happen!
So weird. She still needs to grow her tail back & I haven't checked under her wings yet where a lot of her barring used to be. She's one bird I didn't get for her looks. I've always thought she looked more like a rooster than anything else but she's a Barred Rock & they are such good layers & super hardy I added her in. Her breeder thought her barring might come in with her 1st moult but in fact each moult has seen her whiter & whiter. Now I have this almost all white, brighter than bright chicken with a very large comb & wattles.

So sorry! :hugs I hope your others continue to do well! I wonder if there is something genetically wrong with these girls!
I don't know. Am thinking the coccidia weakened her immune system but there is no sign of it in anyone now & the whole flock's been treated as well as for worms & lice.

I do know the Vorwerks are on the endangered list here. Last survey I saw had only 98 breeders with 858 breeding pairs. They are considered in recovery but that is a very small gene pool ~ but then Campines & Frizzles are still considered @ risk with 1/2 the numbers & fewer breeders. When I added to my flock again I wanted more Golden Campines but my local breeder didn't have any last twice ~ & no~one was carrying them. I looked & looked as they are always my 1st bird of choice. I love my madwomen! A lot of the birds I've chosen are on the rarer side out here so I guess I can expect more problems because of that. Our import regulations are super strict so the genes pools could be a lot better.

Banty eggs are great when you need a 1/2 egg for a recipe! So tiny! :)
I needed these when the kids were in High School. It used to drive me to distraction when they'd arrive home with a list of ingredients for cooking class that stated: 1/2 an egg!

Back
Top Bottom