Rice for chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bachbach1, Jul 23, 2013.

1. bachbach1

bachbach1 Chirping

Jun 27, 2013
    I ran across several hundred pounds of rice in 50 pound bags intended for human consumption, that has been infested with small bugs. I can get it free. My question is can you feed white rice to chickens. It reminds me of corn as far as being a dried grain, and it is small. I just dont want to see my chickens feet pointing at the sky, LOL. I dont see why it would hurt, still I was wondering if anyone had ever fed their birds white rice.

2. Yes but not raw... Boiling it in big tubs would work.. Would have to mix in with food, very lacking in nutrients. It would last ya a while! LOL.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You can feed it raw and use it to supplement your feed.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I have one of those electric rice cookers. I do rice and barley in it. My chickens love it. Great winter feed.

5. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    I give rice in the mix.... they love it... but it lacks in a nutrient that I forgot the bame... ithink niacin. ... and it makes problems in the neck as the can't hold it any more... so you can give it with other feed...

6. bachbach1

bachbach1 Chirping

Jun 27, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, I will use it as a supplement. It looks like you all have used it cooked and raw, so I will try a little raw, mixed in with the food, they will probably like the little bugs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by