Rice For Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Buddyfarm11, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Buddyfarm11

Buddyfarm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Phoenix,Arizona
    My Coop
    Is Rice Healthy For Chickens? In Mexico My Parents Used To Give This Treat To Their Flock and They Got Healthy and It's a Grain As well But Is It Healthy For Chickens To Eat Uncooked Rice? Will It Help They're Egg Laying? I Know It Will Do No Harm To Them Since It's a Grain[​IMG]

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    oops

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Despite the prevalence of the urban myth, seeds don't expand in the crop of a bird. Chickens evolved to eat grains, among other things.

I am unsure about the overall nutrition of rice, but as a mix of total food it should be ok.

Chris

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The above statement is totally untrue. The digestive system of a bird (chicken) is 100 percent capable of digesting uncooked rice.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    RICE FOR PIGS AND POULTRY
    Rice is high in energy and rich in vitamin B complex especially niacin (required for cell
    metabolism) and vitamin E (antioxidant). It is also a good source of linoleic acid which is an
    essential fatty acid required to maximise egg production. The oils in rice are unsaturated (ie.
    have a lower melting point) and tend to form a softer fat tissue in animals if large amounts of
    grain are fed. This may be overcome by reducing the level in the diet during the final weeks of
    fattening. Rice hulls are of little nutritive value to livestock but are sometimes used to dilute high
    energy diets.
    Rations for growing and fattening pigs contain 50-70% grain as maize or sorghum or a mixture
    of both, and any proportion of these cereals may be replaced by rice. However if more than 50%
    of these cereals in pig and poultry rations is replaced by rough rice then feed efficiency is likely
    to fall although growth rates may not be affected. In preparing rations, uncracked grains may be
    fed to chickens but both the rough and dehusked grains should be finely ground for pigs
    https://transact.nt.gov.au/ebiz/dbi...7BA6A055B2C671169256EFE004F65FC/$file/273.pdf

The Nutritional Value will vary on type of rice

Chris

1 person likes this.
  6. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    I have a weekly "Mexican Feast" for my chickens which consists of a lb. of cooked brown rice and a quart of home canned pinto beans laced liberally with cayenne pepper. They all love it and I started it to diversify their diet a little and added the cayenne as a once a week dose to keep gape worm under control. Might have to double the amount as I have nearly doubled my flock! I think brown rice is a good feed ingredient.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    As far as quality of feed, it is certainly not balanced to promote egg laying, however is is fine as a supplement as long as you don't use it as more than 15% (measured by calorie content) of their diet. Using more will upset the calcium to phosphorus ratio and protein content of the feed.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I think you meant to say 15% by weight and not calorie content.
    Also all other feed and or treats other than the regular feed will affect Calcium, Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 ratio along with the Protein of a feed ration.

*Note -
    Vitamin D3 is required for the normal absorption and metabolism of Calcium and Phosphorus.

Chris

9. Fernando22x

Fernando22x New Egg

May 7, 2016
    Guys I am new on the forum....Where can I buy ROUGH RICE

10. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never given my chickens rice till this year.

My new pullets were getting pretty skittish and I needed a quick treat to help train them to come and get them accustomed to being handled. Rice worked perfectly and was a great problem solver.

As to making it a major component of the flocks diet? It's probably going to remain a treat and an aid to training.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by