Rice in Tinfoil Dinners question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I've done tinfoil dinners for years. I love them.

But...up till now I'd always done potatoes with them, with other vegetables and meat, etc. I'd never done them with rice.

I stumbled on the idea by accident that some people do rice in tinfoil dinners. And you can see such things on Youtube.

But I'm not sure if it has to be instant rice?

Two of said videos said instant rice. Others don't say what kind they used. And many don't actually show the rice being cooked in the tinfoil dinner, but added after.

How does this work? Can it be normal grain rice, cooked in the foil? How would you work this?

Thanks.

So I've done tinfoil dinners for years. I love them.
But I'm not sure if it has to be instant rice?

Two of said videos said instant rice. Others don't say what kind they used. And many don't actually show the rice being cooked in the tinfoil dinner, but added after.

How does this work? Can it be normal grain rice, cooked in the foil? How would you work this?

I've never done exactly that, but I've done some other kinds of baked things with rice. They just need to have the right ratio of rice and water, and cook for long enough to get it done. My one recipe with brown rice and lentils in a big casserole dish starts out looking like a soup, bakes for 1.5 hours at 350 300 degrees farenheit, and then is thick enough to eat with a fork.

So I would just think about how much time the rice normally takes to took, and how much liquid it needs, then try it once and see. You could possible get hard, dry rice and have to add more water and cook longer, or you might get a runny mess with too much liquid that you eat as a soup, but neither of those sounds too awful. (And if you have chickens, I'm sure they would be delighted to eat any experiment that you don't want to eat.)

Last edited:
I've never done exactly that, but I've done some other kinds of baked things with rice. They just need to have the right ratio of rice and water, and cook for long enough to get it done. My one recipe with brown rice and lentils in a big casserole dish starts out looking like a soup, bakes for 1.5 hours at 350 degrees farenheit, and then is thick enough to eat with a fork.

So I would just think about how much time the rice normally takes to took, and how much liquid it needs, then try it once and see. You could possible get hard, dry rice and have to add more water and cook longer, or you might get a runny mess with too much liquid that you eat as a soup, but neither of those sounds too awful. (And if you have chickens, I'm sure they would be delighted to eat any experiment that you don't want to eat.)

Thank you. and thanks to the others that replied to this thread also.

I guess I'll have to get to work. I want to know if this will work. Rice also brings the cost of meals down a lot when dealing with a family and family budget.

Oh, do tell! This sounds awesome! What is it?

I can't remember where my Mom got this recipe, but we always called it "Lentil-Rice Casserole."

Ingredients:
3 cups broth, or water + bouillon, or water + 1 Tbsp vegetable seasoning
3/4 cup lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix everything in a casserole dish.
Cover and bake at 300 degrees F for about 1.5 hours.
(It's done when the lentils and the rice are soft enough to be appetizing.)

It tastes better if you top it with shredded cheese before eating--cheddar, parmesan, mozzarella are all good, and probably other kinds are as well.

The onion is chopped fresh onion, but everything else is either water or a dry ingredient (and I suppose you could even substitute in some dry onion). I've always found this dish handy when the fridge and freezer are nearly empty but I don't want to go shopping quite yet :D

Back
Top Bottom