Rice poo

Lauraadriana66

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2023
New old chick mom

Haven’t had baby chicks in a while. I just got some babies from tractor supply and today as I
Was cleaning their coop I saw rice like things in their droppings. Only 3 “rices” to be exact.

Naturally I ran to google. Parasites . Hmm wonder if I have to monitor and treat if continues or I should now get on some dewormer and if so, which one?

Appreciate the help!!!

It is NOT tapeworm segments, nor is it a tapeworm. It is not flat and segmented. Tapeworms require a host such as an insect and the infected insect must be eaten by the chicken in order to be tapeworm infected.
I suspect it is shed intestinal lining which comes in different shapes and sizes. If it's constant, I recommend getting the chicks started on Corid 9.6% liquid solution for 5 days.

A good example is a cat eating a tapeworm infected flea, the cat will get tapeworms. Droncit takes care of cat tapeworms.

Here's a pic of tapeworm segments in chicken feces:
tapes seg.jpg
Here's a pic of tapeworm segments in cat feces, very similar:
OIP (2)cat tapeworm segment.jpg

Last edited:
Only 3 “rices” to be exact.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Post pics.. usually maggots or tapeworms would be as you describe, were they moving? BUT should NOT be present in brooder chicks that haven't had outdoor access.

How old are the chicks? How long have they been in their coop or had ground access?

Only tape worms and large round worm species may ever be seen droppings.. all others are diagnosed with fecal float under a microscope (and may pass intermittently) . Getting familiar with YOUR environmental load and treating as needed is what I suggest.. everything matters.. like weather pattern, soil type, wildlife load, stock density, age and individual immune systems/foraging/bathing habits, etc.

I'm not familiar with Molly's herbs.. but regarding other worming medications.. not all will treat for tapeworms.. so please be sure to identify what you are treating if possible.

The dewormer i use for all our animals including the chickens is Molly's Herbals.
It works super well and the worms cant become immune to it, unlike chemical dewormers. You can find instructions on the website. it's super easy you just mix the powder into their food.

Post pics.. usually maggots or tapeworms would be as you describe, were they moving? BUT should NOT be present in brooder chicks that haven't had outdoor access.

How old are the chicks? How long have they been in their coop or had ground access?

Only tape worms and large round worm species may ever be seen droppings.. all others are diagnosed with fecal float under a microscope (and may pass intermittently) . Getting familiar with YOUR environmental load and treating as needed is what I suggest.. everything matters.. like weather pattern, soil type, wildlife load, stock density, age and individual immune systems/foraging/bathing habits, etc.

I'm not familiar with Molly's herbs.. but regarding other worming medications.. not all will treat for tapeworms.. so please be sure to identify what you are treating if possible.

Hello! They don’t have outdoor access yet, the “rice” is/was not moving and here is the pic
IMG_2758.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 10

Back