Ricky decisions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flyingdragon, Sep 23, 2010.

1. flyingdragon

flyingdragon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    I am ready to try my hand at ducks. Must be good forager, excellent layer, and good mothering instincts. Not interested in runners or muscovys. Anyone raising anconas, appleyards, or welsh harlequins? What has been your experience? Thanks!

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I am raising Pekins, Welsh Harlequins and Mallards. Too soon to tell which one is better than the other or the best part of them. I would suggest not getting 30 the first go round [​IMG] as I did [​IMG] For myself I have figured out they are a bit more work than chickens but I am enjoying them none the less. They have personality and they seem to talk back to us when we talk to them. They also go in a pack (which is why I think 31 is too much- none have gotten trampled but it is a concern). I am learning as I go~ My mallards are fast! The pekins can hardly walk they are so big! And for me the welsh halequins are in between the two breeds. I really liked that you could tell the sex right away.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Maybe welsh harlequins? I haven't tried them, but I think they'll fulfill your basic criteria. Of course, you always have to compromise a bit on the mothering/laying trade-off. I think Harlequins tend more toward the laying side and away from mothering, but I've heard they can be decent mothers nonetheless.

Good luck! Ducks are fun.

4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I don't have WH, but I'm going to get some. I know they are excellent layers, good/great mothers, and exceptional foragers. Right now I have 6 Muscovies and 1 Pekin. Since WH aren't very well-none you can research the Khaki Cambell, because WH are actually mutated Khaki Cambells (I'm pretty sure..) And they have a lot of thew Khaki Cambells traits, accept they are supposed to be SUPER friendly, and not too loud.

Nic <3

5. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:I just gotta ask, how much food do you go thru a week/month with all of them?

6. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    bumb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by