Right chick food?

aldolinosovaon

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Connecticut
I recently just bought 8 new baby chicks and I bought Medicated chick starter, is this the right food I should be buying for healthy hens or should it be different if do which food should I get?? I buy all my feed from tractor supply so if you have any recomendations that would be helpful

Attachments

• 16162976474884387662226168038379.jpg
    16162976474884387662226168038379.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 5
It's perfect for chicks.

Somewhere on the bag it should have an age range listed...can you look for that info?

I recently just bought 8 new baby chicks and I bought Medicated chick starter, is this the right food I should be buying for healthy hens or should it be different if do which food should I get?? I buy all my feed from tractor supply so if you have any recomendations that would be helpful
Chick food, just smaller granules.. I avoid medicated. Better to let them develop an immune system.. or bust.

Any chick starter should be fine. I personally choose non medicated, but to each their own. There isn't a right or wrong, only opinions. I find that alot of the big name chick starters are simply to big of "crumbles" for new chicks. Alot of them are barely broken or broken in halk size pellets. I was finding myself having to smash and crumble it up better for giving it to the chicks. Unnecessary extra work.. I now get my chick starter from my local convenient store. The crumble is actually crumbled into much smaller, manageable size pieces for new chicks.

It depends on a few things. I personally use starter medicated crumble. For me it was because It didn’t matter to me not having organic eggs- from what I understand if you are selling the eggs you might want to go organic. Another reason why I chose medicated feed was because If I am not as diligent in cleaning the coop. (Side note I now use deep liter method) I was not in the beginning. It is a preventative if they get sick - just like vaccinating your dog, cat or children. It is a preference you may want to research. Lastly, I talked to farmer friends and got their input on my decision.

Back
Top Bottom