Right decision to cull?

He would have been dead at my house immediately also, especially drew blood from the kid. Dead rooster for sure we would have set around eating chicken and remembering that mean old rooster...

This is all very interesting to me, as I have a similar problem, but I'm the one the rooster goes after and my husband does not want anything done to him other than "isolating" him in our old coop. That lasted all of one afternoon while the rooster went crazy battering himself against the walls to get out and my husband felt so sorry for him, he let him out. This morning the darn bird drew blood. I'm thinking of taking the shovel to him and burying him somewhere, then telling my husband a coyote got him.

It is taking all the pleasure out of having chickens.

Grab him, hold him upside down by the feet till he calms down (bout 5 seconds)... Then cradle him in your arm like a newborn baby... After a couple minutes of that set him down... Then, either he will have realized your in charge and not attack you anymore, or get your shovel

I have a silkie roo that attacks me if I'm on my cell phone, or taking pics with my cell phone..or something like that...he has attacked my husband as well for no reason..he is so small though that it isn't a big deal...my 3 year old wouldn't even be in danger from this little puff, he doesn't even have spurs...so we keep him anyway...I don't want to eat him he's too small and weird...and I don't like to kill a chicken that I can't eat unless it is in the heart of euthanasia. As in the chicken is dying terribly, I'll help it along and then not eat it obviously...but I kill them to eat them mostly, but if our big rooster ever attacked someone he would have to be made into jerky. He's the most awesome pet rooster ever...he jumps on the silkie anytime he attacks us, although he doesn't watch the hens like the silkie does...it's weird...but he protects me, so that earns him his food even if he isn't much for protecting his hens...
But yeah I would kill and eat any large rooster that attacked me...if it can do harm it is dangerous and I don't need all that headache...so...I think you were right and I would do the same...I hold the chickens still and my husband kills them...so I would pen up said bird til he got home and could behead it for me...but it wouldn't live to attack again.

Well now my wife says that I didn't explain to her daughter soon enough about why we had to kill the roo. Now I gotta figure out out how I coulda resoned with a five year old in the five mins it took between the rooster attack, me dispatching it, and her taking the child and leaving. Lord have mercy
Explaining can be done after the fact as well. Personally, I think she needs to understand that this attack could easily have been much worse, and if not this time possibly next time. That rooster needed to go. Children and roosters seldom are a good mix, if ever. Many roosters just seem to be set on edge by children, whether it be their quick movements or their chatter, whatever. Plenty of small children have gotten a faceful of rooster, eye's can be put out easily by a roosters spurs. It's just not worth it.

You did what needed to be done in the heat of the moment, and what most of us would have done. Sometimes things just happen the way they do and there isn't always time, or reason, to sit down and have a heart-to-heart about it first. In fact sometimes that just makes a situation more hysterical. I think you handled it fine.

I would be upset if my husband killed a chicken without me, but I would understand if it was that kind of situation, but since I am the one doing all the chicken caring, if anyone gets attacked it will be me...or my 6 year old that closes the coop and collects eggs for me.

My grandpa did exactly the same when I was 3. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same today.

This coming on the same day I lost my rooster. He never came after us at all. Pretty cool bird, gonna miss him.

We've done the same. Rooster scratched our 1 year old and lived just as long as it took for my husband to catch him and break his neck. He tasted rather nice.

Our current rooster is on borrowed time. He likes to go for my legs. I'm just waiting until my incubator is full and then he'll live just as long as it takes for ME to catch him and break his neck.

Just google injuries that your child(ren) could have received by keeping this rooster alive and that'll set her straight.

Back
Top Bottom