Right now I would...... UPDATE!!

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
settle for wooden eggs if my chickens would just lay them.
barnie.gif

I spoke with a fellow at a local (30 min. drive) farm store and he said that the hens may be getting to much protein.
The feed I have been feeding them (WINNER) has 20% and he told me to try (Layena) that only has 16%.
I am going to try this but it will hurt the wallet not only is it $1 more per 50# but its an extra 30 minute drive one-way.

Last edited:
This is the time of the year chickens generally go into molt and generally don't lay while molting, are you sure they are not just molting?

They are 6 months old. I don't think they are molting. I have only gotton about a dozen eggs from them so far. They usually start to lay around 22 weeks so I sure would like some eggs.

Also I bought some for a friend and his has been laying for over a month now and they are the same breeds. RIR & Golden Reds. I also sold some I had to another friend and she gets more eggs per day than she has chickens.

barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Well, I also thought of that since we fenced in a 1/2 acre around their coop for them and all the other critters (turkeys, ducks, guineas) but as I look around the area I see none. None under the trees, none in the corners, none by the fake rock, none in the garden, none no where.

I hate to think that I have pumped all this money into these birds just for a dozen eggs. Oh, almost forgot
barnie.gif

Last edited:
If you figure it out, puh-leeze let me know too! My 22 week old girls aren't doing squat. Well, they are kinda squatting for the rooster, but I'm getting nada out of them. Hateful little birds.
About two weeks ago I ran out of grower and switched them to layer. Is that the problem? Should I go cough up another $13 for a 50# bag of grower feed? If I do that they are sure to pop out a dozen eggs just to spite me!
he.gif

Quote:
I was told to switch to layer feed when my hens turned 18 weeks. So maybe that would help you there. mine has been on layer about a month and a half.

Back
Top Bottom