Right temperature??

Alina28

Songster
Dec 28, 2017
The temperature in my incubator is ranging between 36 - 38 degree Celsius. Is it alright??
Thank you for replying in advance.

DISCLAIMER : i know it is a little stupid but I am just being extra cautious cause all the chicks died before hatching last time.

You're probably a little low. What you are likely seeing is the temperature swings between when the heat element is energized and de-energized. When the temp drops below a set point, it energizes the heat element. Then when the thermostat senses it is above the set point, it turns off.
What you are trying to achieve is an internal egg temperature of 37.5.
I would tend to lean toward the lower end of your range as being right for maintaining that internal temp.

There are no stupid questions, especially when it comes to incubation.
What may be more important at this point is what kind of thermometer and has it been calibrated. Not calibrating thermometers is, IMHO the main reason for failures.

Thanks a Lott!!
the temperature sensor is Pre- attached to the Temp controller in my incubator. It is a homemade incubator, in it whatever I set as the higher range of temperature currently 37.8 celsius the lower range is set at 2 degree Celsius lower.

Do you have the ability of narrowing that range?

I don't know if I was clear earlier. If the temp is ranging from 36-38, I would assume the lower end of that range is closer to the internal egg temperature.

No I can't narrow the range of the temperature so now what should set the the higher range at ( the lower range will be set automatically at 2 degree Celsius lower)

This is a guess on my part but with a 2C spread I would make the high setpoint at 39 because then the point when it reenergizes the heat element again will be 37(98.6F). That may put the internal egg temperature in the sweet spot.
If all other aspects of egg production, storage and incubation are optimal, you should be able to judge when the eggs hatch whether the temps were too high or too low and adjust the setting for future settings.
The reason I say this is because currently your incubator temperature is dropping to 36 (96.8F) before reenergizing. I assume that will make the internal egg temp too low for good success. That said, survival is better if it is too low than too high. An internal egg temp of 40+C will likely kill the embryos. The critical thing is to have an accurate thermometer.
Perhaps to verify, place a mercury or alcohol fever thermometer in there and if it gets near 40 it may be too high.

The temperature in my incubator is ranging between 36 - 38 degree Celsius. Is it alright??

DISCLAIMER : i know it is a little stupid but I am just being extra cautious cause all the chicks died before hatching last time.
Was that the setting you used the last time? If so, I imagine it was too low.
If it was too high, they would have died early. If it was too low, they would develop but organs would develop at different rates which would cause failure later in incubation.

Iv'e had many tries and ALL of my eggs died before hatch...But that was because of my original incubator.. 38 is ok. 39 is too hot. :) I'm currently having trouble with my temp being too low!

I just want to caution everyone that you need a verified accurate thermometer to verify you are achieving the settings on the controller. Those are usually going to be off. Does the incubator have a means of recalibrating or offsetting the set temp? In some controllers it is called a parameter difference set value.

Was that the setting you used the last time? If so, I imagine it was too low.
If it was too high, they would have died early. If it was too low, they would develop but organs would develop at different rates which would cause failure later in incubation.

Yes I used that setting before but I think the chicks died cause the temp went around 43 degree Celsius on 16 or 17 day due to some malfunctioning last time.

I have very minimal set things in my incubator cause I made it myself at home with very little things . Currently the controller turns the bulb off when the temp reaches 38 degree Celsius and turns it on when the temp comes down to 36 degree celsius. I don't have any means to check or set the humidity level in the incubator so I just keep a bowl of water in it.

Back
Top Bottom