Right thing removing pullet?

lindseyawest

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
I'm in the midst of trying to combine two sets of pullets (2 and 3 for a total of 5 chickens; with a young cockerel in the flock of 3). My neighbor who has chickens suggested that after a night and a day of having the 2 new ones in the cage near the three (which have been a flock for less than a week), that I let the two new pullet out. They've pretty much stayed separate. Then came roosting time. They were all in the coop and my PR/NH was making sure the 2 newbies weren't getting higher than her or the other two in the flock. But then she'd jump on the ground and peck and chase the two newbies even on the ground. The two newbies would try and stay away, but she kept chasing them all over. I noticed what I think is a little blood where the combs meet the beaks on the two newbies, so I put the PR/NH in a cage and set the cage in the coop. Did I break the fight up too early? Am I doing this right? There's basically peace in the coop now, except the PR/NH keeps pacing in the cage in the coop; the other four are split two and two on opposite sides of one of the roosts.

Thanks for any feedback

It can be hard to watch, and it can go wrong to the point of injury, and you are there, you have to make the call, but generally speaking the more you interfere, the longer it takes. If they can flee her and not get trapped, they are all doing what they are suppose to. The top hen is establishing that she gets the space and a lot of it, when they leave (at a run) they are saying they agree with her, she does get the space, and in a few days they should settle down.

Chicken society is a bit harsh. You need a few hideouts, where chickens can get out of sight of other chickens, but not get trapped. A couple of extra roosts in the run, a pallet leaned up against a wall, a large box, anything to break up a wide open pen with no where to hide. Add two water and feed stations and that should work.

MRs K

Thanks Mrs. K. The coop is 4' x 4'. The cockerel will be going probably within a month. But, there's not a ton of space for them to run from the top hen. And they were at it for about an hour. I waited till I saw blood to stop it. I don't keep food and water in the coop (maybe I should?) but they have access in the run and don't usually go in the coop at all during the day since they aren't laying yet. My husband thinks I shoul leave the boss lady in the cage tomorrow so the two newbies can bond with the Black Australorp and Barred Rock cockerel, then let the PR/NH out at night and try again with the pecking order. It sounds like that might be too much interference and I shojld let them all be in the run together tomorrow since there's enough space to run from the boss lady and I have an extra waterer and feeder out already?

Update: After keeping Blanche (my Red) in the cage in the coop all night, I let her out this morning. There was more squabbling, but at least my two newbies (EEs) had more room to retreat and escape. My Red and Black Australorp weren't letting the EEs eat from either of the two feeders out and away from each other, for a bit, but it looks like they're letting the EEs come closer to their little 3-chicken-flock and eat from either of the feeders. I'm guessing there will be more squabbling tonight when it comes time to roost, but I'm hoping the blood-drawing is done.

I have three roosting bars:

The leader is about 3 months old? The two new EEs are about 3 months old as well. My Australorp is about 3 months and my BR (probable) cockerel is about 9-11 weeks.

Quote: The one in back, against the mesh wall, is basically unusable, it's too close to the wall.
The one on front looks good, the one between is could be ok, but too close for rivals.

Each bird needs about 1 foot of roost length, 12-18" from walls and 12-18"apart...they'll sleep on less, but need the room to get settled.
Roosting time is almost always full of squabbles, even in a peaceful flock.

Can you put another like the front one on the other side of the coop?

Last edited:
They actually tend to use the one closest to the screen door the most, though I mostly put that there so I could put the perpendicular little roost in. I could add another roost like the one in the middle of the coop, but it would have to be right on the other side of the 2x4 wall joists or in the middle of the 2x4 wall joists, primarily because of my guillotine style pop door and the nest box side is also a door:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom