Ring-around-the-layer

Mbean15

In the Brooder
May 10, 2016
TX
I have one laying hen, and 5 non-laying pullets. Today I saw my layer going in and out of the nesting box so I decided to sit and see if I could catch her laying. (I've been outside in 85 degree heat for an hour I really want to see her lay an egg)
She eventually laid down and got comfortable and that's when all of the pullets came to check her out! They all circled around the nesting box and just stood there watching her.
Does this happen to anyone else? She laid her egg as I was writing this (sneaky, silent girl) so I guess this doesn't bother her too much.

They are probably watching and learning. That's an interesting behavior to have observed. I have noticed too, some of my pullets checking out the nestboxes and the laying hens.

They are probably watching and learning. That's an interesting behavior to have observed. I have noticed too, some of my pullets checking out the nestboxes and the laying hens.

I hope they're taking note. My older girls that aren't laying are almost 8 months! Those freeloaders.

I have one laying hen, and 5 non-laying pullets. Today I saw my layer going in and out of the nesting box so I decided to sit and see if I could catch her laying. (I've been outside in 85 degree heat for an hour I really want to see her lay an egg)
She eventually laid down and got comfortable and that's when all of the pullets came to check her out! They all circled around the nesting box and just stood there watching her.
Does this happen to anyone else? She laid her egg as I was writing this (sneaky, silent girl) so I guess this doesn't bother her too much.

Back
Top Bottom