Ringneck and mourning dove

Chicksbabette

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Benton Arkansas
I rescued a ringneck Dove off from the road a few weeks ago. She had been hit by a car. I kept her until she was well and then I released her when I saw a Mourning Dove out back by the chicken pen. I hoped that maybe they would get along and she would not be alone. To my surprise the mourning dove flew right over to her and they left together. Today I saw them both together still. They were eating underneath my bird feeders on the ground when here came my Stupid dogs. They both tried to fly away over the carport away from the dogs but the mourning dove could fly much higher (the ringneck is young, a bit clumsy, not quite a professional flyer yet) The Ringneck Dove slammed into the carport and fell to the ground. I picked her up, I put her in one of the chicken pens out back fenced away from the dogs where I released her the other day with the mourning dove. I hate that they were separated.
My question is does anybody think that the mourning dove will go back out by the chicken pens again and find her where they were the first time they met and left together? It is only about 200feet from where they were just eating before the dogs came. It is the same place I saw the mourning dove the other day when I released the ringneck.

They are not the same species and once they are sexually mature the ringnecks, an invasive species, set up a territory and aggressively drive off/kill mourning doves where the two meet.

Good job saving the bird! :thumbsup

I would say they will most likely find each other again, but once they are a little older, they will probably go to find mates of their own type.

Back
Top Bottom