Ringneck dove looks sick

rsb911411

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
I got a ringneck dove from a breeder that seems to be in pretty bad shape. Doesn’t move around much, fluffed feathers, not eating much, and very thin. What can I do to help it. It is probably a few months old but not sure exactly. She did say this one and another she gave me were runts and had to live on the ground because they were bullied.

Keep it warm and dry whith easy food and water access, and you can put some honey or sugar in thier water to give them a little perk and maybe get it going again. Can you post pics? Pics are very helpful!

I've also force fed small berries aka chopped up to give hydration sugar and sustenance when a bird doesn't want to eat so the little they do get is giving max benefit

I got a ringneck dove from a breeder that seems to be in pretty bad shape. Doesn’t move around much, fluffed feathers, not eating much, and very thin. What can I do to help it. It is probably a few months old but not sure exactly. She did say this one and another she gave me were runts and had to live on the ground because they were bullied.

With smaller birds like doves, parrots, and passerines, these symptoms should be considered an emergency as they hide illness until they are in a critical condition (chickens and other poultry do, too, but are often astoundingly resilient when compared to their smaller cousins). I highly recommend veterinary care if at all possible. Usually once they are at this point they will at a minimum need some stabilization (possibly sub-cu fluids and a special recovery diet). I am not trying to be judgemental and I don't know what the situation was, but "runts that had to live on the ground because they were bullied" is a red flag; this isn't normal.

If you absolutely can't see a vet, the outcome may be poor. A vet is your best bet. Try to keep the dove in a low stress environment where it has access to a good diet, clean water, and comfortable temperatures. When they are in this condition they often can't keep warm enough so beware of drafty areas, near AC units, etc.

Last edited:
I don’t have access to a vet so I have to do whatever I can for it. I have nutri-drench for my chickens and quail. I am going to try to make a mash and feed it with the chick feed I have and hopefully do it some good. I will get pictures as soon as I can.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom