Ringneck Doves Make Great Pets

Great video! I too am from Minnesota. I have been interested in doves since I shadowed at a veterinary clinic who had one as a "clinic bird" he sat on his perch all day and observed what went on. Very neat creatures! I love that they aren't too flighty like parakeets.

There are so many great things & reasons to own a laughing dove! They're less messy, inexpensive, aren't high maintenance, usually quiet (unless you have a pair or a male), not destructive, great with kids & for first time bird owners, long lived (15-20+ yrs), hardy, bond with their oweners, come in 40+ colors/5 feather mutations, & are great entertainment!!

Most people have no idea that they live for so long, laugh like people, & develop a deep bond with their owners. Haven will start cooing if he can't see me & won't stop cooing until I take him out of his cage to cuddle & pet him until he falls asleep on my hand.

I cannot stress this enough: people may think that it is just a bird, but KNOW YOUR BIRD'S NORMAL BEHAVIOR & ALWAYS TAKE YOUR DOVE TO THE VET!!! Although they are hardy, they still can get sick & die if you ignore this advice. Even if your bird's not sick, take it for a yearly checkup!!

Can a pair bond with you or only doves that are being kept alone?
A pair will still bond with their owner... very easily. These doves are naturally tame, trusting and calm... that is what there were bred for.

Once you spend time with them and start offering treats they will start to loose all fear of you and will even start letting you pet them. You can train them.. to fly to you on command too. They love to sit on the back of the sofa and watch TV with me in the evenings.

I trained mine to only perch in a few places and I have put some towels there to catch their poops. Its easy to train them to perch where you want... just keep chasing them off any place you don't want them going and they soon learn to avoid that place. I let them walk around on the floor all they like..as I have tiles so easy to clean up.

Just make sure you turn off you ceiling fans when they are out!!!!

Back
Top Bottom