Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Pics

I have a Ringneck Pheasant male that I found in my yard. I have put up found messages but no response. I don't want to let it go because it was 39 degrees last night so I was going to keep it through the winter and then let it go. Any advice

Where do you live? I have had Ringneck Pheasants in the past. Haven't had them for many years. I had them in a coop with a covered pen until a Bobcat got in and killed several. They would not use the coop so I put some shelter areas up and branches inside their pen. They found a way out and hung around for a long time but we were feeding them. Eventually the last few disappeared. Probably eaten by a predator. I have posted several pictures of them on this thread. They survive in cold climates.
IMG_3696.JPG

I live in east Texas and will need a game license to keep him. He got out the other day and ran around the yard but did not fly. I do not see anything wrong with him. I do not know if he can't fly or just does not want to. I put him in a coop every night and he is in a small run for now. I was going to release him after winter but if he can't fly I might need to find someone who will take him

Here we need a game license for over 50 birds. He may be molting. They can't fly very far like quail. Maybe your local fish and wildlife organization can help. Here we had a skunk problem where someone was catching skunks and releasing them in our area. We are very rural. The officer here told me it was ok to shoot them because they are not threatened or endangered. I caught around a dozen skunks in a very short time. One night I got 2 in one trap.

Last edited:
Hello, yesterday I was with my ducks down by my stream and I saw a mother pheasant with some day old chicks in one of my fields so I went a took 6 of the chicks (she had like 12) I’ve put them in my brooder with 3 guineafowl meets whom are a few days older and a Brahma chick who’s the same age as the pheasants. Is there anything different to raising pheasants than Chickens or guineafowl. They are in a brooder with the brinsea ecoglow brooder and they are on shavings. Any help is greatly needed

Howdy
I don't know the "laws" or regulations in the UK but here in the USA, what you did is illegal. That being put aside, pheasants should not be raised with other poultry, especially chickens. Chickens carry diseases that they can tolerate but will kill a pheasant and other gameirds.
They require a larger area for their enclosure than chickens or other poultry. (appox. 25sq.ft./bird)
The chicks should be fed a complete high protein feed of 24% or better and a clean source of water.
They should have a heat source that provides enough warmth for them until they are fully feathered and can regulate their own body temperature. The brooder should be set up to provide 98°F to 95°F temp for the first week and then lower the temp 5° F each week, until they are fully feathered. Here, in the US, the Brinsea Ecoglow reviews have suggested that it doesn't provide enough heat for the chicks.
Pine or Aspen shavings are ok to use for bedding, however, do not use cedar shavings as it "off gases" volatiles that can kill birds.
BIOSECURITY is most important when raising pheasants. Cross contamination is the #1 cause of disease and death when raising pheasants and other gamebirds.
Wish you the best with your chicks. HTH

Back
Top Bottom